By: Frank Swindle
Date: 04/07/2000
The latest out of Seattle is that high school phenom Rashard Lewis wants
out. Lewis' agent is reported to be forcing Seattle's hand to decide now
who they want to sign long-term to big dollars - Rashard Lewis or Ruben
Patterson.

 HOUSTON -- The latest out of Seattle is that high school phenom Rashard
Lewis wants out.
Lewis is in the final season of a two-year contract worth about
$800,000.
Lewis' stock has risen dramatically in the last few weeks and he's been
quick to make the most of his chance. Lewis is averaging 7.6 points, 3.9
rebounds in 18.1 minutes.
Lewis told the Seattle Times, "The more minutes (Westphal) gives me, the
more confidence I get in myself. Each time on the floor, I improve on
something. So the more experience I get, the more confidence."
IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE BENJAMINS
Lewis' agent is reported to be forcing Seattle's hand to decide now who
they want to sign long-term to big dollars - Rashard Lewis or Ruben
Patterson.
The Sonics have the right of first refusal, which allows them to match
any other offer. But Lewis says that minutes, not money, will be the
deciding factor. "The money will always be there," Lewis told the Times.
"So it will depend mostly on playing time."
Despite desperately wanting to play for Houston, Lewis was passed over
by the Rockets in the '98 NBA draft that brought us Michael Dickerson,
Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turckan.
According to sources, Lewis is willing to forget about being slighted by
the Rockets organization and still wants to play here.
Let's hope Rockets V.P Carroll Dawson is listening.... and that this
isn't something Lewis' agent is just running up the flagpole to see what
he can make happen.