Ellison, Fortson washed up with Celtics?

http://www.telegram.com/sports/celts.html
Ellison, Fortson washed up with Celtics?
Tuesday, April 11, 2000
By Bill Doyle
Telegram & Gazette Staff
BOSTON -- Pervis Ellison has likely played his last game as a Celtic,
Danny Fortson appears to have only a handful of games left, and reports
continue to circulate that coach Rick Pitino is looking elsewhere for
employment.
         According to CNNSI.com, Pitino has inquired about the New
Jersey Nets job. George Steinbrenner is about to take over the Nets and
reportedly wants a high-profile coach to replace Don Casey. Pitino loves
Nets point guard Stephon Marbury, and New Jersey should be better next
year when Jayson Williams returns.
         Pitino shot down the Nets report last night, just as he denied
the report last week that he was interested in college coaching at North
Carolina or Kentucky next season.
         “You know it's not the truth,” Pitino said. “You know it's
ridiculous.”
         Pitino is growing tired of having to refute the persistent
Internet reports of his desire to leave Boston.
         “It was written but that doesn't make it the truth,” he said.
“You can totally make up things today. You can have any source you want
to. That guy in the weight room can be a source. You can make up
whatever you want today because there's no accountability. So that
ridiculous thing is in the newspaper along with the Carolina stuff and
everything is ridiculous.
         “I can get on the Internet tomorrow and give you 20 of the most
absurd things in the world.”
         Ellison said last night he feels fine, but he's been on the
injured list since March 23 with what the team said is a lower back
strain. There's no reason to believe he'll be activated for any of the
remaining five games. There's no chance the Celtics will re-sign Ellison
this summer when he becomes a free agent.
         M.L. Carr had high hopes for Ellison, the first pick in the
1989 NBA draft, when he signed him as a free agent six years ago. But
injuries and a lackadaisical work ethic prevented the 6-foot-11
center/forward from producing. He averaged only 6.8 points and 5.3
rebounds in his first season in Boston. That turned out to be his best
season as a Celtic.
         He has played in only 69 games over the past four seasons.
Injuries accounted for most of his absences, but he's been relatively
healthy this year, averaging 1.8 points and 2.2 rebounds in 30 games.
         “It was very tough,” Ellison said. “As an individual, it was
tough. From a team standpoint, it was tough. I thought I'd play a lot
more.”
         “He was the low man on the totem pole,” Pitino explained.
         Ellison turned 33 this month and his skills have deteriorated
to the point where they match his desire, but he said he wants to play
another five years. That may sound absurd, but don't bet against some
NBA team -- the Clippers are still in the league, aren't they? -- giving
him a shot next season for short money.
         “I'm definitely going to play next year,” Ellison said. “I
don't know where, but I will be playing.”
         “He's such a nice person, if that's what he wants, I hope he
gets a chance to do it,” Pitino said.
         Ellison will probably be remembered most for missing most of
the 1996-97 season after a table fell on his foot at Greg Minor's home.
Initial reports said Ellison dropped the table while helping Minor move,
but Ellison continues to insist that wasn't the case. He reiterated last
night that he was sitting in Minor's new home and the movers hadn't
properly balanced a marble table, and it slipped onto his foot when Todd
Day stood up and put his hand on it.
         Ellison isn't concerned about what his legacy will be as a
Celtic.
         “I rarely look at things like that,” Ellison said. “We can go
on and on, but it just comes down to wins and losses, and we've had more
losses than wins. That's the disappointment.”
         Fortson was one of the most impressive Celtics in training
camp, but he missed the team's first 25 games with a stress fracture in
his right foot. He has averaged only 14.6 minutes a game since his
return. Pitino thought so much of him, he traded him to Toronto in
February, but the deal fell through when Alvin Williams flunked his
physical.
         Fortson insisted last night he hasn't ruled out trying to
re-sign with the Celtics after his contract expires at season's end.
         “I like the guys on this team,” he said.
         But if Pitino comes back, he probably won't want Fortson.
         “It's been a long year,” Fortson said. “It's kind of like I've
been watching it all pass through my hands. The people here haven't seen
the true me.”
© 2000 Worcester Telegram & Gazette