Re: Kenny (was: patience and stability)

>I think Anderson just feeds the natural tendency our two stars have: shoot
>first, because I might not get it back if I pass it. Can Kenny contribute to
>a good, veteran team? Absolutely. He'd probably be fine with the Knicks. But
>when he takes quick shots, even when he makes them, he undermines the
>unselfish, pass-first approach this team needs to be successful. We have two
>young "stars" (I'm using that term VERY loosely) who like to take a lot of
>shots and should be taking a lot of shots. But neither of them understand
>that the best way to get good shots is to pass and move. Kenny isn't the guy
>to teach them. Combine that with his lousy defense (he's still lousy, even
>if he is trying harder), and you have a real problem at the point.

I couldn't agree more. Every word, right on the money. I couldn't let this
"Kenny doesn't know what his role is," excuse linger too long without a
comment. Everywhere Kenny's gone it's been the same thing. He's the same
player now that he was in Portland, and they finally got fed up with his
"I'm looking for my shot every time down," mentality. It's not that Kenny
doesn't know what his role is, it's that nobody knows what to do with him.
Do you tell him to stop shooting? What's the alternative? That's all he
does and more importantly, that's all he's ever done. And to be honest,
does anybody actually believe he couldn't be, with his quickness and his
great ballhandling skills, a great passing point guard? Kenny isn't a "pass
first" point because he doesn't want to be. He knows what this team has
needed, and that's been veteran leadership and unselfish play from the
point. Mark's absolutely right. The recent quotes from Kenny about what a
team needs to do to win are actually pretty pathetic. If there's a selfish
player on this team, it's KA. And since we're on the topic of selfish/soft
players, how about those nights when Pierce, the guy who worked out all
summer and is in just tremendous shape (How many games did he miss with
that ankle and how many games did we use the "ankle excuse" for his
mediocre play?) gets lit up by other shooting guards but gets all those
steals? Nice steals "numbers." You think he just cares.......no, not PP.
He'd be a much better player without Walker. He'd get to put up much better
numbers. Kind of like Vin Baker.

Paul M.