Re: patience and stability

> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 07:56:16 -0800
> From: damekmo@teleport.com
> Subject: Re: patience and stability
>
> >If the Celtics keep a pat hand, he said, ``all we're going to do is be a
> >little wiser with the same basketball team, and a little wiser maybe
means
> >five or six more wins. But it's not going to get us over the hump. We've
got
> >to get over this hump right now.''<<
> >http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/celts04102000.htm
>
> Do you disagree with him, Tom? Do you actually think that this team, with
> this talent, is ever going to compete for anthing other than 8th playoff
> spot? I think he's made some horrible mistakes acquiring players and he'd
> be a fool to come back with the same team. Red couldn't win with that
> bench. Pitino's been a horrible gm. Perhaps the solution is to keep him on
> the court and out of the front office. But I just don't believe he wins
> anything but the 8th spot at best with this current group. Anybody you
> bring in to replace Ricky is going to have to make some major changes.
More
> later. I have to go to work.
>
> Paul M.

Yes, I disagree with him. I've maintained all season long that I like the
core that has been assembled. Sure, I'd love to shed some of the cap busting
contracts if possible, and who wouldn't want a stronger bench, but overall I
think that Pitino's coaching is responsible for getting less with what most
would agree is more.

I've lost all confidence that Pitino knows how to coach/motivate this team.
I'd love to have this year over with a different coach. I don't think I'm
alone on this one.

I believe that a different coach/coaching philosophy could have got them
into the playoffs THIS year. Whoop-dee-doo you say? Remember, this team is
young. It's self-confidence and desire are closely tied to its progress -
and the playoffs would have been progress. But under Pitino all they have
done is regress.

The playoffs can work like a tonic on a young and fragile team (witness
Sacto). Scrape in this year, charge in next year, advance past to the 2nd
round in a third year, then begin to contend - I think that is the most that
fans can reasonably hope for. But I have no hope of that occurring under the
current regime.

My how times change! Wasn't it Pitino who was lecturing us fans about
patience a few weeks back? Wasn't he telling us it was young and improving?
This guy changes his view like a weathercock in a storm. What's next? Who
knows? Is this stability?

-TomM