Fortson future

>>Another factor in Fortson's lack of playing time could be his contract. He
has not told the team if he will re-sign. If they play him more and he does
well, the Celtics would seemingly have to offer him more money to stay. And
Fortson may not want to stay no matter what the Celtics offer.

Even Carroll admitted as much.

"Sometimes it's not a question of ability, it's a question of Danny being a
free agent," Carroll said. "If you don't feel a guy is definitely going to
sign with you in the spring, maybe you need to go with a player who has a
longer contract. Otherwise, you're left holding nothing at the end of the
year."<<
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports_headlines/20000409fortson6.asp
(Former Duquesne University Coach John Carroll is a Celtics assistant)

I found this article at the pro sports page. Fortson likes the town and
teammates but doesn't like not playing (so it sounds a sure bet that he'll
be gone if Pitino is still around). They discuss all the usual reasons why
Fortson hasn't played (injury, knowledge of plays, fouls due to rule
changes) but I was surprised to find this last factor discussed publicly -
maybe because it's an out-of-town paper - and was frankly quite depressed to
hear that such factors would even be considered.

Sometimes it's not a question of ability?!?

Playing another player (Battie?) because of his contract, not his ability?!?

Would Pitino ever tolerate a GM telling him he had to play someone based on
their contract?

And I thought Pitino's goal was to make the playoffs this year?

Please Rick, RUN - don't walk - to NJ!

-TomM