Re: Draft

Jim Meninno wrote:

> >From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
> >Knowing that Pitino will likely leave after this year, I wouldn't be
> >shocked if he mortgaged a future pick to move up in the draft to get (hip,
> >hip, hurray!) a Chris Mihm type of "answer". Pitino likely wouldn't draft
> >Kenyon Martin since his leg probably won't heal for a year.
>
> I don't follow your reasoning, Joe.  If Pitino is leaving at the end of the
> year, why would bother making any trades?  If he made one that improved the
> team in the short term at the cost of long term potential, it would only
> make his successor look good anyway.  Personally I think he'd be more apt to
> make a deal like this if he was planning on one more year, just to prove
> he's not a total flop, and then on to the next job.  However, and I think
> you'll agree with me on this, I don't think that Pitino thinks that way
> anyway.  I totally believe that every move he makes is based on what he
> thinks is best for the Celtics, and will continu to do so until he leaves.
>
> Jim

    Typo! I actually meant after NEXT year, according to Pitino's public
statements. I actually think it is better than 50-50 that Pitino will stay and
try to squeeze into the playoffs next year, then walk away with his head up
higher. The money incentive for staying in Boston doesn't hurt either. Since the
UCLA and North Carolina jobs probably won't open, there may not be any available
"dream job" in college this year.

    Nevertheless, he may have the decency and judgement to not use his Denver
first-rounder he should bequeath to his successor. If Pitino trades away the
rights to a future franchise center in some sort of a package for a veteran or a
2000 draft pick, his legacy in Boston will look far worse than it already does.

    I'm not saying that dramatically good things will happen if we hold onto
these picks (the Denver pick is lottery protected up to a certain point after
all). But at least we would have cause for hope (akin to watching Larry Bird's
senior year while the washed-up and overrated Celts were winning just 29 games
in 1979). That was a Red Auerbach move. I hope Pitino makes a similarly inspired
decision this summer.

****