Indiana could deal him to the Celtics; Jersey says Pitino named a
horse after Cousy...

      The Herald News - Sports

      Fri, Sep 03, 1999
      RED'S WORLD: Some more pain and suffering for you Patsies
      By Ken 'Jersey Red' Ford
      <snips>
      ***
      Fox TV's decision to only have Bob Cousy do 10 Celtic games this year is
      absurd. While I'm sure that Tommy Heinshon and Mike Gorman will do a fine
      job, there will be a void.
      Cousy called it the way he saw it and had no problem second-guessing
      Pitino and going after Celtic players when it called for it.
      He never did it in a mean-spirited way and I for one feel there is a need
      for that kind of honesty in broadcasting. In the past two years I spent a
      lot of time with Cousy on road trips. We were both early risers and would
      sit in the coffee shops at hotels and chat.
      His knowledge of the game of basketball astounded me. I certainly hope
      that Cousy's age (70) was not a factor in Fox's decision. He was in better
      shape than most guys in their forties.
      A lot of people probably think that Pitino had a say in all of this and
      that's ridiculous. Rick holds Cousy in the highest of regard and recently
      named one of the horses he bought at the Saratoga sales after him.
      ***
      I don't know what Dan Duquette saw in Ken Mercker that all of the other
      GMs in baseball didn't, but he looked pretty good in his first appearance
      in a Sox uniform and the Duke got him for nothing.
      ***
      Is nothing sacred? Mo Vaughn did not play for the Angels on Friday night
      because he received permission to attend the funeral of a close family
      friend, yet Channel 12's Patrick Little found humor in it and took a
      left-handed swipe at Mo. Disgraceful reporting by a clueless guy who's
      last name is appropriate for his style. Thank goodness for the TV clicker.

      ***
      Remember the local kid I did a story on last month? Well Pat Darin, the
      former Durfee grad who interned with the Celtics this past summer, handed
      a great job. He will be the head full-time trainer for Whitman Hanson High
      School. Who said nice guys finish last?
      ***

      PC Basketball needs a "shooter" badly. The defection of Shawn Connelly
      hurt them and the kids timing was unconvinceable. If he had told Coach Tim
      Welsh at the end of the season they could have made it their top priority.
      Now it appears as if they will have to completely change their system
      until they can land a couple of kids who can stick the "J."
      ***
      Memo to Delaware North, Harry Sinden and Mike O'Connell! You are finally
      going to get it stuck right where the sun doesn't shine and Byron Dafoe is
      holding the "big stick" this kid will not settle for one cent less than
      the $4 million a year he is asking. And he will not play if he doesn't get
      it! And my best sense tells me that finally the Bruins' fans will not put
      up with the Bruins "sticking" it to them.
      ***

      ***
      I'm hearing that Austin Croshiere the former PC hoops star is unhappy in
      Indiana and would love to play in Boston and after watching him in the
      summer league competitions I'd love to see Pitino get him.
      ***
      Rawol Mondesi and the LA Dodgers look as if they are headed for
      splitsville and guess what? Dan Duquette and Rawol are very friendly if
      the Red Sox were ever able to land this guy they will be getting one of
      the best players in the game.

              © 1999 ,The Herald News