Re: Celtics Past: 1994

Thanks Joe.  I really appreciated and enjoyed this
defense of Antoine, I see the same qualities in him,
and often wonder why others don't. One thing you
didn't mention as well was the cut-down on the number
of times he actually did the wiggle last season. I too
like the way Antoine talks to the reporters, he tries
to actually express what he wants to say without using
the old, tired cliches that all athletes seem to use.

I saw a quote by Donnie Walsh the other day when
questioned about the Pacers interest in Antoine,
mentioning that players that produce 20 and 10 are an
absolute premium. Why can't we appreciate what we have
here. He's gotten such a bad rap, but hasn't had a
single problem off the court, no brushes with the law.
Nothing even like Tony Battie's brush with the law
this spring. He was originally mentioned in the
Mercer/Billips/Irvin lawsuit, but was quickly cleared.

I guess the fans who don't like Antoine would break it
down to a)the wiggle b)his bad shooting nights c)the
veteran all-star remark, and d)Last year's "out of
shape" situation after the lockout. (I'm not sure how
Shaunessey got the privelidge of "outing" Antoine's
condition 2 months into the season--I hadn't heard
anything about it before then)

We need Antoine. We need his skills, we need his fire.
I watch the Patriots, and see a team with no fire at
all at times. The "stars" of that team, (Bledsoe, Law,
Slade, Johnson, McGinest, Glenn) are ALL  low key guys
who seem at times to lack passion and desire. The one
guy on that team I could compare to Antoine on-field
is Lawyer Milloy--But Milloy will spout off to
reporters as well, something Antoine doesn't do.
Milloy can't fire up the Offense, the most fire on
that offense belongs to the Third-string QB. Antoine,
because of the Nature of basketball, can fire up the
team on both sides of the ball. Fire is a good thing,
channeled in the right direction, and he's getting
better with the refs.

I also love his desire and penchant to take (and make)
last-second shots.

Well, this started as a couple lines to Joe, and just
took off.

=== message truncated ===