Re: Celtics Past: 1994

Dan the man, thanks for the civil and intelligent reply. I knew this list would get
back on track again. I'll try to keep my reply shorter, to make up for my
embarrasingly long post earlier today.

Here's what I'll say in addition to what's already been said: sports writers I think
instinctively "protected" certain stars like Larry Bird by putting favorable quotes
in the best light or not necessarily publishing "off the record" comments  that may
have come across greedy or petty or mean-spirited. I can think of examples here and
there of these traits scattered out during Bird's career.

Here's a concrete example. On the day before the 1979 Indiana State-Michigan State
championship game, Larry Bird reportedly told reporters that "winning or losing the
championship game would make no difference because he was going to sign a big
professional contract either way" (this according to a story by Joe Gergen in the
TSN archive section). The article concluded, however, by sympathetically noting that
"Bird's actions betrayed his true feelings. At the buzzer, he walked to the
Sycamores' bench, put a towel to his eyes and cried."

Now imagine if Antoine Walker said something like that before a game, then proceeded
to shoot 7-21 from the field in an 11-point blowout loss? Would the article have
been written differently? How would they have treated the crybaby scene afterwards?

Maybe you don't agree that writers may overlooked some of Bird's stupidest comments
(not to mention the fact that he wore the world's ugliest shirts). :-) But I think
it is very hard to disagree with the assertion that Boston writers have gone out of
their way to trip up AW, drive a fake wedge between him and his coach, and paint a
not so subtle picture in every reader's mind that Antoine Walker is our very own
Iverson or Sprewell, and deserves to be boo-ed.

I'm really not saying it's about race. But I am saying it's about racial (or
socio-economic) mannerisms that we can't seem to stomach. I'd believe we'd
appreciate the many, solid all-around games Walker has already played for us in
Boston a lot more if he'd only act a little bit more middle class and white. If we
don't mind a pumped fist or a waved towel after a made basket, then we should not
let Antoine's wiggle tempt us into making ignorant and false assumptions about his
character. And yet we do this. It's obvious that we do this.

Joe

p.s. I don't agree with your reference to Antoine being a poor open-court passer. I
really don't.

--------