On Hoops: Celtics Performance-wise Unchanged via Off-Season Moves

                                           http://www.onhoops.com
                                           I Thought About...
                                           Matt Stenback.

                 Seems everyone has an opinion on the moves made by teams this
                 offseason, so why shouldn’t I have my say too… The big players have
                 been Atlanta, Orlando, Phoenix, Seattle and Portland, while
                 Sacramento, Milwaukee, Chicago, Washington, Boston, Cleveland and the
                 LA Clippers have made few but significant moves that should have an
                 impact on their performance. And that’s not counting the draft.
                 Anyway, here’s a synopsis... <snips>

                 BOSTON CELTICS
                 The Boston Pitinos... Difficult to assess since you never know when
                 the next change is gonna be made. The Ron Mercer trade has been
                 labeled a disaster for Boston by many, though I’m not quite as
                 negative. He had to go, eventually, but the team (=Pitino) could have
                 received more in return if it just would have had the patience. Danny
                 Fortson is very solid and a double-figure rebounder, but whether he’ll
                 fit into the Pitino system is suspect. He doesn’t quite have the
                 length to be an interior defender, and offers little offense. My guess
                 is that Tony Battie will eventually end up starting, not a terrible
                 scenario considering his upside and athletic build. Throw-ins Eric
                 Williams and Eric Washington likely will ride the pine, if they get to
                 hang around. Recent additions Adrian Griffin and Wayne Turner are no
                 world-beaters either. So while I don’t think the Celtics will be much
                 changed performance-wise by this offseason...