BSG's Antoine Project

I wonder if he would have felt differently if he was there
for the second Washington game. Love the Wayne Turner comment...

      Digital City - Boston - Boston's Sports Guy

      OFF THE BENCH
      SG unleashes "Project Antoine"

      I cheered everything Antoine Walker did last night.

      It was my first appearance at a Celtics game this season -- an exhibition
      tune-up between the C's and Wizards -- so I decided to do everything I
      could to make Antoine Walker feel more comfortable at the Fleet Center. I
      cheered every basket. I whooped it up for every rebound. I hollered
      encouragement to him every time he strayed near our seats at midcourt. I
      was so pro-Antoine, I think his Posse in Section One was getting jealous.

      Did it work? Who knows? Antoine scored 27 last night and took over the
      game in the fourth quarter. Of course, the fans didn't notice because they
      never notice Twan when he does well... they only pay attention when he's
      stinking out the joint. For instance, the moron who sits behind me and
      derisively refers to Walker as "Employee #8" (usually after missed shots)
      was mysteriously silent last night. Maybe that's because Antoine went
      10-for-13 and helped the C's win the game.

      (Yup, that's productive... when a guy on your own team is struggling, make
      sarcastic remarks. When he's playing well, don't say anything. Thanks for
      your support!)

       Project Antoine was actually suggested to me by a reader --
      Yennie@aol.com -- so we could all pull together and help turn Cyber Twan's
      career around in Boston. For all his faults, Walker hasn't gotten a fair
      break from the hometown fans since he started playing in Boston three
      years ago; last season, relations becamse so strained that the Fleet
      Center Faithful actually booed him on "Fan Appreciation Night." Last night
      as the team captain du'jour, Antoine gave a little speech before last
      night's game; you couldn't miss the unintentional comedy when he uttered
      the words, "Thanks for your support over the past few years." The only way
      that sentence would have been funnier is if Pauly Shore sent that out to
      all the movie critics across America.

      I don't ask for much, so hear me out on this: Antoine deserves a fair
      shake. He was overweight and out-of-shape last year? So what? Everyone
      makes mistakes. The guy just turned 23 years old, he went from the streets
      of Chicago to the charmed life of the NBA in three scant years, he clearly
      needs to do some more maturing... so cut him some slack.

      If he wasn't trying, it would be one thing. But he does try. He DOES try.
      I went to all the games last year and I've watched all the preseason games
      this year -- Antoine Walker worked hard during the latter part of last
      season and he's working even harder this season. He's in terrific shape.
      Since the fans turned on him last March -- rightfully so, we should add --
      he made a conscious effort to improve every aspect of his game.

      Hear me out: Antoine Walker is salvagable. During last night's game, he
      made 10 of 13 shots and each of those ten field goals stood out. He made a
      lefty layup off a drive, ala Cowens (he worked hard on his left hand over
      the summer and it shows). He made a running righty one-hander, ala
      Havlicek. He made a righty jumphook, ala McHale. He made a stepback
      20-footer, ala MJ. He dropped two deep three-point bombs, ala Bird. He
      filled the lane for a nifty give-and-go play with Anderson, ala Maxwell.
      And so on.

      There isn't anybody in the NBA like Antoine Walker right now. He's too
      quick for power forwards, he's too big for small forwards, he can play
      inside and outside, he can rebound a ball and take it coast to coast, he
      can look like Bernard King one minute and Magic Johnson the next, he can
      run your offense... basically, he can do anything he wants on a basketball
      court. If he's in shape and motivated, Employee #8 is one of the ten best
      players in the league. Remember, Larry Bird tried to trade for him all
      summer... what does THAT tell you?

      Anyway, this Celtics team will only go as far as #8 goes, regardless of
      how good #34 might be down the road. Antoine's the proverbial "straw that
      stirs the drink" for this team right now, as Reggie Jackson would say.

      Either accept this or start rooting for another NBA team. Forget the past,
      forgive his petty, juvenile on-court BS, look the other way when he's
      searching for approval from his posse during home games, ignore his
      occasional sketchy shot selection, pretend that you enjoy the Wiggle...
      and show Antoine Walker some goddamned support. He's earned it and he
      deserves it.

      End of sermon.

      Onto the Ramblings... <snips>

      I can't believe that little Claudia from "Party of Five" might lose her
      virginity before AC Green. One's a 15-year NBA veteran... the other's a
      15-year-old violinist. Go figure.

      This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, so I'll just say it: Some
      time during this Celtics season, you're going to say to yourself, "Man,
      what would we do without Wayne Turner?"

      That wasn't a joke.

      Copyright © 1996-1999 Digital City, Inc. All Rights Reserved.