Re: Mahorn

> Yeah, but that's exactly what I thought when Golden State traded for Terry
> Cummings last year, and he saved their season. You could say the same about
> dinosaurs Willis and Oakley in Toronto. Maybe all of those guys have mnore
> game left than Mahorn, but there's no question these old warrior-types rubbed
> off on their younger teammates.

I think you hit it right on the head here. There's a big difference between
Mahorn, who's 41 and has about nothing left, and Willis and Oakley who can
each go for another 3 or 4 years probably. Willis averaged something like
16 pts and 8 rebounds the year before they got him, and they gave up two
first round draft picks. Oakley cost them Marcus Camby, their #2 pick from
last year. They gave up quite a lot of young talent to get their dinosaurs,
and yes, now they have improved from being a horrible young team to a more
balanced mediocre team. It's what they needed to do because they had been
so bad for so long.

Mahorn is nothing like Willis and Oakley in terms of what he can bring to
the table. Even Philly is not bringing him back after having him last year,
and they've lost their entire frontcourt to injury. The other guys that are
available at the minimum are not going to make an impact like a Kevin
Willis or Charles Oakley would either. If Oakley had said, "I want to play
for Boston for the $2M exception," he would have gladly been added, I would
guess.

We just need to suffer a bit while Danny is out and just let Tony and Vitaly
try to pick up the slack in the middle with the help of Ellison and Conlon
if Ellison goes down. Next year, Ellison is going to come off the cap along
with Eric Washington. Barring a trade (which would probably be for a big man)
we'll probably be adding a first-round draft pick and a $2M exception player,
and I'd hope one of these guys would be a big man. In the meantime, I doubt
that anyone available at the minimum will be much rebounding help.

Alex