Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:02:23 EDT
From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
Subject: No Mahorn

I don't know where this Mahorn silliness comes from. The guy is 41 years
old and is not exactly a great fit for an uptempo game. He averaged 1.4
rebounds last year in 16 games at 8 minutes a game. That's not exactly
a big contributor or much of a rebounding force. If we want a thug to
go hit someone, we have Vitaly, who's probably a lot stronger at this
point. If we want an old champ to tell the team about how to win, we have
Russell. There is absolutely no need or use for this guy on the Celtics.
If he was 15 years younger, maybe.

In general, a young, building team like the Celtics shouldn't be thinking
about adding some veteran in the twilight of his career who doesn't fit
into the long-term picture and takes minutes away from the developing
young players. Conlon at least has the possibility of sticking past this
year as an end-of-the-bench/IR big man when Ellison's contract expires.
If you add some third-rate aging center (which is what you get for the
minimum) who gives you 10 minutes of marginal play, how many more games
does that win you over the season?

Alex