Boston Globe: Fortson out 8-12 weeks

Fort says he's told he could be back in the first week of December.
Pitino says he will bring in old friend Mahty Conlon. Battie also out
for a few more days, Turner likely also will miss Saturday game.

******

Fortson out 8-12 weeks
His stress fracture will hurt Celtics' rebounding

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/20/99

The fracture was discovered shortly before the Celtics took the floor
here to play the Hornets. Fortson said he had been bothered by foot pain
for about a week, and X-rays prior to the game revealed the fracture in
the fifth metatarsal.

 ''It's a shock,'' said coach Rick Pitino after Boston's 120-117
overtime loss  to the Hornets. ''The doctor called me in and said he was
out for two months. I said, `Who's out two months?'

''It's a big blow, but the important thing is that we got it early. We
can't hang our heads. We have to find a way to rebound, that's all. But
with Danny out, we have a big hole.''

Pitino said the team would likely try to bring in former Celtic (and
Providence College graduate) Marty Conlon to help out.

The type of fracture Fortson has - known as a Jones fracture - often
requires the insertion of a screw. Such players as J.R. Reid and Kendall
Gill  have had the procedure and done fine. In addition, several college
players who are examined annually by NBA team physicians at the predraft
camp in Chicago also have screws.

''You can't worry about it,'' said Fortson, leaning on aluminum crutches
with  his foot in a cast. ''The good thing about it is that Michael
Jordan came back  from it. There's nothing I can do. Throwing things
isn't going to help. At least  it's not an ACL.''

 Fortson, acquired Aug. 3 as the centerpiece in the multiplayer deal
with  Denver for Ron Mercer, will fly home to Boston today and be
examined by team physician Arnold Scheller. Trainer Ed Lacerte said the
location of the  fracture necessitated such a quick examination
''instead of waiting a couple  days.''

Lacerte said a big concern is keeping Fortson in shape during the
recuperative process.

Fortson said he was told he could be back in as little as six weeks. The
team release said he will miss 8-12 weeks.

''The important thing for him is to keep his weight down, his strength
there, and his cardiovascular conditioning,'' Lacerte said. ''It can be
done.''

The entire thing caught the Celtics by surprise. An hour before game
time, Pitino was talking about how valuable Fortson's rebounding would
be and how Fortson likely would play big minutes. Fortson was in
uniform, fully expecting to play, chatting with teammates. Then the bad
news arrived.

''I thought I was going to play,'' Fortson said. ''My full intention was
to play.  I didn't think it was that bad where I couldn't play. I thank
God that I know what the problem is and can get it taken care of. I
don't want to sit out.''

General manager Chris Wallace, who is on the trip, said, ''Obviously,
Danny  provided a tremendous physical presence and a rebounding ability.
Now we'll just have to regroup and go on and compensate in those
areas.''

In addition to Fortson, the Celtics were without the services of Tony
Battie and Wayne Turner. Battie has a mild left knee sprain, Turner a
bruised toe. Pitino said Battie might be out for a few days, and he
doubted that Turner would be available for Saturday's game in Lexington,
Ky.

''It's the type of thing that Walter [McCarty] had last year, and if you
don't stop it right away, it doesn't go away,'' said the coach.

Kenny Anderson, meanwhile, was limited to 18 minutes after sustaining a
cut over his lip that required four stitches.