>Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:57:56 +1000
>From: W <titans@ihug.com.au>
>Subject: Re: what we got, what we need

>> Only 2, not bad.  Walker seems to be playing about the same way he did
>> last year.  God I wish he could jump!! He gets his shot blocked way too
>> much for a 6-9 guy.  He drives in for the layup and get blocked all the
>> time.

>I may be wrong,

You are.  I just watched the tape of the game vs. Atlanta and Walker was
awful.  I mean positively wretched.  I was listening for the boos from the
FleetCenter and they were playing in Rhode Island.

With only two preseason games to go on, I think it's a little early to
jump to any conclusions.  But here are the vibes I've picked up so far:

Fortson and Vitale are very similar players and might not be skilled
enough to play on the court at the same time for long stretches.  Both can
rebound and clear out space, but Fortson can't get a shot off in traffic
and Vitale, while owning a nicer offensive game, can't gobble boards the
way Danny can.  If the season started today I'd go with a starting lineup
of Anderson and Pierce at guard, 'Toine at small forward (playing him at
PF is a big mistake -- how long will it take Rick to figure this out?)
Fortson at power forward and Battie at center.  But I would just as gladly
go with Vitale at center and Battie at PF.

The team needs to make more of an effort to look for Pierce.  I'm glad
he's not forcing the issue on offense, but he's the most consistent
shooter out there and you can't ignore him just to post Antoine for the
fourth time in a row.

Speaking on Antoine, if his play doesn't pick up soon he'll have about as
much chance of making the All-Star team as I do.  His game is in free fall
right now.

Eric Williams looks spectacular.  How could anyone in Denver think they
got a steal on that trade?

Everyone is looking to pass more.  Outlet passes are being thrown quickly
and there's much more ball movement.  If I were Pitino I'd play a little
"game" with Anderson and Turner.  I'd tell them that once they were in the
game, they would stay there as long as they ran the ball up the floor
every possession.  First time I saw one walk it up, I'd substitute him
with the other.  I bet that would help get the ball up the floor in a
hurry.

With a stable lineup and plenty of practice time this team looks solid.
Put me down for 40 wins.

Dan