Globe/Herald: Battie, Fortson, and Adrian Griffin News

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Griffin's number comes up

                                CBA swingman gets shot with Celtics

                                By Marvin Pave, Globe Staff, 10/16/99

                                PROVIDENCE - He wore basketball
                                        uniform No. 44 back in high
                                school. But when Adrian Griffin got to
                                Seton Hall, that number had been retired
                                in honor of Nick Werkman, who led the NCAA
                                in scoring in 1962-63 and was a
                                fifth-round draft choice by the Celtics in
                                1964.

                                When Griffin advanced to the Continental
                                Basketball Association's Connecticut Pride
                                three years ago, ''It was whatever jersey
                                they had. You just picked one,'' he said.

                                Now, as a Celtics rookie, the
                                6-foot-5-inch swingman has No. 44 on his
                                back once again. That number was once worn
                                by a fellow named Danny Ainge, who
                                collected a couple of championship rings.

                                ''The Celtics gave me a list of the
                                numbers and said these numbers are
                                available. I saw 44 and thought, `Are you
                                serious?' I immediately picked it, and I
                                was grateful to get it. I loved that
                                number at Wichita [Kan.] East High,'' said
                                Griffin.

                                But it's the consistent numbers the
                                Celtics hope to get out of Griffin that
                                will be more important than the one on his
                                back. Griffin, who was the CBA's Most
                                Valuable Player in both the regular season
                                and the playoffs last season when he
                                helped lead the Pride to the title, suited
                                up for his second exhibition game last
                                night. Unfortunately for Griffin, coach
                                Rick Pitino kept him on the bench
                                throughout the Celtics' 104-79 win over
                                Atlanta at the Civic Center.

                                ''The key is to work hard and do what you
                                can to help on the court and not worry too
                                much about stats,'' said Griffin, a Big
                                East Basketball Scholar-Athlete Award
                                winner. After leaving Seton Hall in 1996,
                                Griffin played professionally in Italy in
                                the summer of 1998 and played for Atlantic
                                City (where he was the USBL player of the
                                year).

                                Celtics associate coach Jim O'Brien said,
                                ''He did great in the CBA last year. When
                                we were looking to put together a team
                                last summer to go out to Long Beach, Leo
                                Papile and Chris Wallace said this was one
                                of the people we wanted to look at.''

                                The question O'Brien wanted answered was,
                                ''Is he tall enough and quick enough to
                                succeed at the NBA level?''

                                ''My initial reaction was, frankly,
                                probably not, and I said that to coach
                                [Pitino],'' said O'Brien. ''But coach
                                said, `Let's wait and see how he does out
                                in LA,' where we played eight games in
                                nine days.''

                                O'Brien waited and watched and changed his
                                mind, recommending that Griffin, who
                                averaged 12.4 points and shot .621 from
                                the field in Los Angeles, be signed as a
                                free agent. Griffin also stood out with
                                the local contingent in the Shaw's Pro
                                Summer League in Boston, averaging 15.2
                                points and a team-best 5.2 rebounds per
                                game.

                                ''Adrian has some things to learn, like
                                weak-side defense and adjusting to bigger
                                and quicker players. And it'll take a few
                                games for him to feel more comfortable.
                                But he does all the little things right,''
                                said O'Brien. ''He doesn't turn the
                                basketball over. He scores very
                                efficiently without a lot of hoopla. He
                                defends, he communicates, and he's a
                                winner.''

                                Griffin was frustrated last fall when the
                                lockout prevented him from making an
                                impression at an NBA camp. Griffin said
                                his latest opportunity represents ''a long
                                stride'' over the past year.

                                ''I'm grateful to be here and to be part
                                of the Boston Celtics family,'' he said.
                                ''I know they scouted a lot of our games
                                in the CBA and got to know the kind of
                                player I was.''

                                Griffin's first taste of NBA play came in
                                the exhibition opener at the FleetCenter
                                Wednesday. He scored 5 points (including
                                2-for-4 shooting from the field) and added
                                four rebounds and three assists in 15
                                minutes off the bench in the Celtics'
                                110-103 loss to Charlotte.

                                ''I was more excited than anything,'' he
                                said. ''When I first walked into the
                                stadium and then the locker room, I was a
                                little in awe. As a basketball player, you
                                dream of playing in the NBA, but after the
                                dream comes reality. You still have to go
                                out and play to the best of your God-given
                                ability.''

                                Griffin, one of only six players in Seton
                                Hall history to score more than 1,400
                                career points, said that in the CBA,
                                ''everyone was striving to get to the
                                NBA.''

                                ''On our [CBA] team, we all tried to
                                support each other,'' he said. ''The team,
                                not the individual or the individual's
                                stats, was what came first and what made
                                us successful. In fact, four or five of us
                                made it to veteran camps this year.''

                                But not without some moments of self-doubt
                                along the way.

                                ''I knew it would take some time to
                                develop mentally and physically to the
                                point where I could play in the NBA and
                                that there would be some ups and downs,''
                                said Griffin, who has had some brief
                                preseason looks from Miami, Dallas,
                                Philadelphia, Golden State (with former
                                coach P.J. Carlesimo), and Milwaukee.
                                ''When you don't make it, there are always
                                questions that come up - perhaps my
                                consistency as a guard or my shooting from
                                outside, I don't know exactly what it was.
                                But over the last three or four years, I
                                feel my game has gotten better.''

                                The key for Griffin, said O'Brien, is
                                theoretically not different from what made
                                him a success at the CBA level.

                                ''It's to show you can fit into a team
                                that wins. That's more important than
                                statistics,'' O'Brien said. ''There are a
                                lot of people in the CBA that put together
                                great statistics, but the question is, do
                                they do the little things that help the
                                other people on the court play better?''

                                This story ran on page G04 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/16/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

      Boston Herald

      Battie strikes gold with Celtics
      by Steve Bulpett
      Saturday, October 16, 1999
      PROVIDENCE - Tony Battie's view into the future became a bit clearer
      yesterday when he signed a six-year contract extension. Finances are no
      longer an issue for the 6-foot-11 forward.
      ``We won't go into the specifics of it, but he'll be buying dinner for
      quite some time,'' Rick Pitino said before the Celtics took on Atlanta at
      the Civic Center.
      The specifics include some $25 million over the contract's term, with
      about 25 percent of it in incentives. Most of the incentives are tied to
      victories.
      Pitino had said last week that there was no imperative to get the deal
      done before the Oct. 31 deadline for players entering the third year of
      their rookie contract. But Battie implied strongly in conversation that he
      had fulfilled the team's summertime requests and was looking to get the
      contract out of the way as soon as possible.
      ``Tony has proven to the organization not only that he wants to be a
      Celtic, but he has done everything we've asked of him,'' Pitino said. ``We
      talked this summer about being shrewd as a basketball player, and he spent
      the entire spring and summer with us. He dedicated himself. And we were
      certain at that time that we wanted to lock him up as a Boston Celtic.
      ``He has wonderful potential, and he's done everything we've asked in the
      weight room, in the community and on the basketball court. And he's just
      scratching his potential. He's going to get a lot better, so we're very
      excited to make this announcement. Only great things are going to happen
      to Tony and the Celtics because of his involvement.''
      The financial security is important to Battie, who is making a little more
      than $2.5 million this year on a wage scale deal from being the fifth
      overall pick in the 1997 draft by Denver.
      ``To say that there wasn't would be a lie. There's a nice comfort zone.
      But more than that, there's just a security that I just have to work hard
      and not think about a contract. I'm not going to put it on cruise control
      or anything. This gives me a lot of incentive to work hard.
      ``I just wanted to come out and play as hard as I could, knowing that good
      things come to those who work hard. In my mind, this summer, I just wanted
      to come in and work hard and better myself as a player. I'm thankful that
      I've been given the opportunity to be here long term. There's a great core
      of guys here, a great coaching staff. And I'm looking forward to doing a
      lot of positive things in bringing the championship tradition right back
      here.''
      Battie was confident, from talking to Pitino, that things would work out
      with the Celtics. But one can never be completely certain.
      ``A lot of things go through your mind,'' said Battie, who averaged 6.7
      points and 6 rebounds in 22.4 minutes a game last year. ``I never thought
      really about testing the waters or anything like that. I just wanted to
      play as hard as I could and the best that I could, and I knew the rest
      would come.''
      Pitino spoke often last year about Battie's need to be more consistent,
      and his confidence in that grew over the last few months.
      ``A lot of times, you don't know what you're getting in an athlete,'' the
      coach and president said. ``You never know whether a player will reach his
      potential unless they're willing to put their time in working with you. So
      everything is a gauge. How good can Tony be? How good can Antoine (Walker)
      and Paul Pierce be? The evidence is in how hard they're willing to work at
      their game, and Tony was willing to pay the price.''

      Boston Herald

      Fortson content to wait for his
      Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
      Saturday, October 16, 1999
      PROVIDENCE - With Tony Battie's contract extension out of the way, that
      leaves just Danny Fortson among those eligible for a new deal as a player
      entering the third year of the 1997 rookie wage scale.
      But Fortson will not be getting a new pact by the Oct. 31 deadline.
      ``We're going to wait until the end of the season on Danny,'' Celtics
      coach Rick Pitino said last night.
      ``The reason we did Tony's now is that we've had plenty of time to see him
      and work with him and know what he can do. We just don't know enough about
      Danny right now.''
      And the Celtics shouldn't be concerned about any effect from putting
      things off. Fortson cares not one whit about the situation.
      Asked if his agent was still talking to the Celtics about a deal, he said,
      ``I don't know.
      ``It's not something I'm thinking a whole lot about. I'm just working. If
      they want to wait 'til the end of the year, it's not a problem one bit.''
      Battie still motivated
      Coming here from Denver (with a non-playing summer stopover with the
      Lakers in '98), Battie admitted he had something to prove with the
      Celtics. His rookie season was filled with underachievement on a team that
      lost 69 games.
      ``After a year like that, I felt like I had a lot to prove,'' Battie said.
      ``I lost more games my first year in the league than I've lost combined
      since I've been playing the sport. It was kind of a momentum break a bit.
      ``But I've got all of my aggressiveness back. My mind frame especially.
      Loss after loss after loss, it was kind of hard there for me.
      ``Now I'm with a coach with a winning reputation, and the Celtics' name is
      prestige.''
      Pitino jumped on another Bill Russell moment when talking about Battie's
      new contract.
      ``Bill Russell said it to Tony in the locker room. `Now that you're rich,
      so what? Now what are you going to do?' It's not like coaches who can
      coach until they're 70,'' Pitino said. ``They have a window of opportunity
      as a player.''
      On second thought
      Before the Celtics went out for the opening tip against the Hawks, Pitino
      came to the press table laughing.
      ``We go through our whole pregame defensive routine designing something to
      double-team (Dikembe) Mutombo, and he's not even in uniform,'' the coach
      said. ``We worked on it a half hour.''
      The Hawk center was out of the lineup for no medical reason. Coach Lenny
      Wilkens was just giving him a day off.