      Boston Herald

      Ellison gives it one more shot: Now or never for Pervis
      by Steve Bulpett
      Friday, October 15, 1999
      Pervis Ellison will never have to worry about reading between the lines
      with Celtics coach Rick Pitino. If he needs to know the score, the coach
      will spray paint it across the side of the FleetCenter.
      ``To be honest with you, if he totally dedicates himself and doesn't jerk
      around at all, he's better than anyone we have (at center),'' Pitino said
      yesterday, the day after Ellison went 12 very good minutes (four points,
      three boards) against Charlotte in the exhibition opener. ``He's the best
      shot-blocker, the best passer, has the best moves and he's the tallest.
      ``But he would really have to dedicate himself and totally turn over a new
      leaf of dedication. Not that he hasn't been, but he has to totally focus
      in on every little thing. He has the most talent of any of the big men.''
      A previous coach, Wes Unseld, used to say that Ellison was good enough to
      break your heart. He has missed 253 games through various injuries in a
      10-year NBA career. He didn't play at all last season.
      ``I don't mean this negatively against Perv, but I'm not counting on
      him,'' Pitino said. ``I've said all along he's a wild card. If he gives us
      something, I think that's awesome and wonderful. But I'm not counting on
      it, only based on his track record.''
      There is no argument from the 32-year-old Ellison.
      ``I think that's a fair statement,'' Pervis said. ``He's said I can be a
      big asset to this team, but by the same token he's not going to sit around
      and go on hope.
      ``It's unfortunate, but I've got a history of getting hurt, so coach is
      not going to include me in anything and have a setback to that. So what he
      said is a true statement. All I can do is take it day-by-day.''
      In that this is the final year of his deal ($2.75 million this season),
      Ellison has to take it day-by-day well to talk about next year. Pitino
      knows the score.
      ``You don't have to be a UMass graduate to figure this one out,'' the
      UMass graduate said with a grin. ``I mean, do the mathematics of the last
      year of his contract.
      ``No, I'm only kidding,'' he continued, ``but it obviously is the last
      year of his contract and he realizes that if he continually misses games,
      nobody's going to take him seriously in the future.''
      So far, so good. Ellison did just one session when the team was in
      two-a-days, but he is on pace, according to the coach.
      ``He doesn't know the plays and he has to get himself in shape,'' Pitino
      said. ``But if he keeps working as hard as he's working, that'll come.''
      As things go along, Ellison is still finding his way. His first steps
      Wednesday were interesting.
      ``Oh, yeah, it was a little awkward at first,'' he said. ``But that's why
      you've got exhibition season - work out the kinks and just get ready for
      the 82 coming up.''
      Eighty-two? That would break his personal best by six. Heck, Pervis has
      played a total of just 39 games in the last three years. But he is
      undeterred.
      ``It's just a matter of getting out there,'' he said. ``I've still got a
      ways to go. But I'm encouraged. I'm feeling good. I've been out here and
      the body is doing OK.''
      Pitino knows Ellison can be better than OK if he's feeling right.
      ``He was a big factor our first year, and I think he can be an even bigger
      factor because I think he's better offensively now,'' the coach said. ``He
      used to go up and leave his feet and look to pass instead of score. Now
      he's looking to score. He can be a factor, but he's still out of shape
      compared to the other guys. That will come little by little.''
      So will Pitino's confidence in Ellison - as long as he stays on the
      court.cw0