Re: Players fitting the system

It won't happen w/Anderson. Guards have come a long ways in the league
since Kenny's days. His are over. I would rather see another *developing*
year with another younger faster better defensive point than Kenny. IMHO he
won't help this squad of mostly homeless and will have a negative effect.

At 07:24 AM 10/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Ewing may have or may not have fit Pitino's system, but as a franchise
>center he acted as a safety net for the Knicks, expecially on the
>defensive end. There's no one like that here and it's a problem.
>The C's deperately need a big man/shotblocker/defender and someone other
>than Kenny running the team.
>
>I think we've seen enough of Kenny to know it ain't happening, so I'm
>inclined to go with Barros and Turner until something better comes
>along,
>which could be as soon as the trading deadline if things get desperate.
>Ray
>

>> Subject: Players fitting the system
>> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 02:08:28 EDT
>> From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
>> To: celtics@igtc.com
>>
>> There's a lot of talk about how Pitino has added all these players that
>> don't fit his system. The common idea seems to be that Pitino wants to
>> have ten lean, long-limbed runners in his rotation, and the Celtics don't
>> seem to be heading in that direction. However, I was thinking back to the
>> days when he was coaching the Knicks, and it seems like a lot of his top
>> players weren't types that you would think of as fitting his system either.
>> Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley don't seem like "Pitino players", and Mark
>> Jackson was considered slow, yet the Knicks succeeded in playing Pitino
>> ball. My guess is that Pitino is going to stick with his system even with
>> the new players. He's going to employ the press to take advantage of the
>> Celtics' conditioning and depth, and to mask their halfcourt defensive
>> deficiencies. He'll also have the Celtics run even more with the rule
>> changes (and also because of the additional depth).
>>
>> On another note, I think that this is by far the most optimistic that
Pitino