      Big request for Big Bill: Pitino asks Celtics legend Russell to give his
      players a talking-to
      by Steve Bulpett
      Tuesday, October 12, 1999
      Bill Russell stood on the sideline at the Celtics' practice facility
      yesterday, wearing black high-tops and a Celtics sweatsuit and punctuating
      long gazes at the court with instructive remarks and his trademark laugh.
      It was roughly akin to George Washington stepping off the $1 bill to teach
      political science at Harvard.
      After the workout, the franchise legend made two points very clear: He is
      here at the request of - and with admiration for - Rick Pitino. And he is
      taking a no-nonsense approach to his periodic appearances to help the
      Celts.
      ``Basically, I started the whole thing by saying - after we got the head
      coach and the players in the room - I said, `OK, everybody in the room is
      rich. OK? So we all got that squared away,' '' Russell said. `` `Now what
      are we going to do? The contracts are all set and everything, so that's
      not even part of the equation now.
      ``This is potentially a really outstanding team, and the only thing that
      we have to find out now is how we can put it together so that we're
      playing as a team. How quickly can we do that?' ''
      Russell explained that he would come in from the Seattle area regularly to
      work with the players and the marketing department.
      ``First of all, I want to say the reason I'm here is to give as much help
      as I can to Rick,'' said the 11-time NBA champion. ``I think he's a great
      coach and the perfect coach for this team. And I am a Celtic and will be a
      Celtic from here through eternity. My team may need some help, and if I
      can do it I'll do it, because that Celtic Pride is not just a cliche to
      me. It's something.
      ``I'm really flattered, Rick, that you asked me to come,'' he said,
      turning toward the coach. ``I will do everything I can to help him in any
      way that I can. I think he's the perfect coach for this job, and if all of
      us Celtics can help, we're always glad to do that.
      ``I'll just tell you this. I am extraordinarily pleased to be here - and
      especially under these conditions. It's put a little bounce in my step. I
      always have been a Celtic fan, from the first day I got here. I'd never
      been to Boston before I joined the Celtics, and I'd never seen the Celtics
      play before I joined the Celtics, but the first time I saw them play I
      became a Celtic fan. And I will be one until they . . . I probably could
      put it on my tombstone - `Celtic.' So I can't tell you how happy I am to
      be here and hopefully be of assistance to Rick.''
      Russell deftly swatted aside questions as to how much impact he could have
      on players not yet born when he helped defeat the Lakers in his last game
      for the 1969 championship (only Dana Barros and Pervis Ellison, both
      barely 2, were alive then).
      ``This is the same game, and I know it very well from a player's point of
      view,'' Russell said. ``So when I talk to a player about something, 95
      percent of them know what I'm talking about. The other 5 percent, they're
      not going to make the team anyway.''
      After pausing for humorous effect, he added, ``I know this game, and they
      know I know it. You see, one of the great assets of a good coach is the
      ability to listen and to be able to communicate with his players. I know
      all these guys and I know all of the problems they have. And I know
      basketball.
      ``So when I talk to them, I talk to them in ways they can understand
      clearly. I never give them any BS.''
      Pitino concurred on the player issue, with one modification.
      ``The players really haven't changed, except that everybody today is
      stat-conscious,'' he said. ``They want double-figure rebounds, they want
      this, they want that. Bill addressed it this way. He said, `You know, if
      your stats are your ego, mine was the team. My ego was larger than all of
      you, because my ego is a championship ego, a team ego.'
      ``I've had 50 people speak to my teams through my 26 years of coaching,
      and he's the most insightful person I've been around. He is Celtic Pride.
      ``If somebody says to Bill, `What do you think of Celtic Pride?' Well, he
      started Celtic Pride along with Red Auerbach. This tradition is what Bill
      is all about, so we're hoping . . . that some of his insights rub off on
      the players as well as the coaches. We're ecstatic to have him
      here.''

      Boston Herald

      Rick knows motivation when he hears it
      Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
      Tuesday, October 12, 1999
      If his gig as special instructor with the Celtics doesn't work out, Bill
      Russell could always scoop up Rick Pitino and hit the road. The two
      obviously hit it off when Russell spoke to the team last April, and they
      were comfortable behind microphones yesterday, evoking laughter on several
      occasions.
      When Pitino spoke about Russell, with 11 championships, being upset at
      getting injured and missing a chance at another, the big man stepped in.
      ``I've never forgiven myself for that,'' Russell said, his grin growing as
      he went. ``Really it's a sore spot with me.
      ``That 12th championship would have been really . . .''
      ``Yeah,'' Pitino jumped in, ``we all can identify with that.''
      Actually, Russell may be looking to hit Pitino up for some royalty fees.
      ``I go around and give a lot of motivational speeches,'' Pitino said,
      ``and now about 20 percent of my speech is quoting Bill Russell and what
      he said to our team (in April) - because every corporation in America
      should listen to what Bill Russell has to say to try to get a team to be
      above all the individual glory.
      ``When I heard Bill speak, we went out and won by 26 or 27 (actually 21
      over the Wizards), and then he had to leave and I got very upset about
      that because I had to give the motivational speech the next day. At that
      point I knew he could be of tremendous value to a young ballclub. And if
      the players listen and really understand what he's saying, we will be a
      playoff team this year, no question in my mind.''
      Russell pounced.
      ``You guys got that?'' he said.
      ``I've already made that mistake,'' Pitino said of his playoff promise for
      this season.
      Among Russell's first-day observations (everyone was healthy and made it
      through the session as tomorrow night's exhibition opener approaches):
      ``The white team, which is the second unit, is out-hustling the green
      team,'' he said. ``Now that used to happen to us, too, until Red
      (Auerbach) took out his cigar and a whip.''
      Also, Russell added, ``It's very difficult for guys to think now, because
      if you're tired it's very difficult to think. That's your first enemy,
      fatigue - especially in this sport. So as the guys get in shape, things
      will work better.''
      Russell will work with the club today and tomorrow before flying home to
      Mercer Island in Washington. His next appearance is uncertain.
      ``I'm usually going to come and stay a week at a time,'' he said. ``See, I
      live at land's end out in Seattle.
      ``That's where you get when you get where you're going. I live on this
      island and I come off the island every now and then. Now, most of the time
      I come off the island, I'll be coming here.''
      Of his familiarity with modern-day basketball, Russell explained that he
      has a satellite dish. ``I watched an average of four games a day and threw
      shoes at the TV and pissed and moaned,'' he said.
      After saying the Celtics were the only team he was interested in helping,
      Russell acknowledged the report in yesterday's Herald that he has spoken
      to the Sonics about TV work and that some player instruction could be
      involved.
      ``I really don't know right now,'' he said. ``I have to talk to my agent.
      ``I know he's talked to (Seattle) a couple of times.''
      Of other offers he has received over the years, Russell said, ``You know,
      it's like, most people don't know how to talk to me. But that's not an
      accident. So I've had calls, but this is the only place that I was
      interested in.''