Bulpett/May: C's in Shape

The Celtics don't have any interest in Rhoderick Rhodes....

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                CELTICS NOTEBOOK
                                Camp no sweat this year

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/06/99

                                WALTHAM - No slouches this time. No
                                need for IVs - yet. After one look
                                at his 1999-2000 team, fitness fanatic
                                Rick Pitino likes what he sees.

                                Antoine Walker isn't 30 pounds overweight,
                                although he still looks a tad bulky. Paul
                                Pierce looks ready for a triathlon.

                                ''The team is in great shape,'' said
                                Pitino, who could not make that statement
                                last year after the lockout (then again,
                                no coach could). ''Everybody is in great
                                shape. The guys who were here all summer,
                                we knew about them. But you never know
                                with Kenny [ Anderson], 'Toine, or Eric [
                                Williams]. But they came in great shape.
                                They took care of business on their own.''

                                Pitino's first camp in Newport, R.I., was
                                best remembered for the intravenous lines
                                that had to be utilized. This one may be
                                remembered for a layup drill. Pitino said
                                this is the first team he has ever had
                                that performed the drill (170 layups in
                                four minutes using four basketballs with
                                everyone dribbling lefthanded) the first
                                time.

                                ''I've never had a team, college or pro,
                                do it the first time,'' he said.
                                ''Usually, a team misses a couple and then
                                they get upset because they have to do it
                                again.''

                                McCarty cut - literally

                                Walter McCarty became the first camp
                                casualty of sorts. He tried to drive
                                through Wayne Turner and ended up with a
                                six-stitch cut over his right eye. It
                                didn't stop him from playing, however. In
                                the night session, Tony Battie suffered a
                                cut in the upper lip that required five
                                stitches ... Calbert Cheaney is wearing
                                No. 40, which Battie had last season.
                                Battie is wearing No. 4, which Popeye
                                Jones wore last year ... Pitino said he
                                likes the early-season schedule, which
                                features 15 of the first 25 games at home,
                                with one qualifier: There are a lot of
                                back-to-back games. The Celtics play five
                                sets in November (including two in five
                                nights straight out of the blocks) and
                                three more in December. The last one
                                features games in San Antonio and Houston
                                Dec. 17-18 ... Ex-Kentuckian Rodrick
                                Rhodes has been waived by Orlando, but the
                                Celtics need another swingman as much as
                                they need another assistant coach. ''We're
                                overloaded,'' Pitino said, referring to
                                the glut of 6-foot-6-inch, 6-7, and 6-8
                                guys. Rhodes played for Pitino at Kentucky
                                and later transferred to USC. He's bounced
                                around the NBA in his two years in the
                                league and ended up in Orlando in one of
                                the many summer mega-deals ... The final
                                Celtics' exhibition game, originally
                                scheduled to be played in Washington, will
                                instead be at the Civic Center in
                                Springfield Oct. 28. The Wizards still
                                will be the home team. The clubs also will
                                play the night before at the FleetCenter.

                                This story ran on page F03 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/06/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

      Boston Herald

      Pitino sees shape of things to come
      Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
      Wednesday, October 6, 1999
      The Celtics players have accomplished their first goal: keeping coach Rick
      Pitino off their backs about body preparation. Unlike last season, when
      the coach was moved to complain long and loud about people not showing up
      ready to play, the troops impressed Pitino right away.
      ``The one and only thing that's noticeable is the conditioning,'' Pitino
      said after the first of two workouts yesterday.
      ``We do a drill at the end which is very tough. We try to make 170 layups
      in four minutes,'' Pitino continued, explaining the full-court test in
      which four balls are in play simultaneously and players may dribble with
      their left hand only. ``I've never had a team I coached make it the first
      time. It's usually they don't make it and they get pissed off and they do
      it again. But we made 174, and I've never had a team - college or pro - do
      it the first time.''
      Pitino had seen many of his players, including Paul Pierce, Vitaly
      Potapenko, Tony Battie and Walter McCarty, over the summer in workouts at
      the newly named Sports Authority Training Center at HealthPoint
      (henceforth to be known here as The SATCH) or in the two summer leagues
      the Celts entered.
      ``But you never know with Kenny (Anderson), 'Toine (Antoine Walker) or
      Eric (Williams),'' he said. ``They weren't part of summer league. But they
      came in in great shape, so they took care of business on their own.''
      All made it through the first session relatively fine. Walter McCarty took
      six stitches above his right eye after dipping in on Wayne Turner, who
      took the charge. The stitch count grew to 11 when Battie took an
      accidental shot to the mouth during evening practice.
      In the throws of it
      In that the Celtics made the fewest trips to the free throw line in the
      NBA last season, Pitino is enjoying the sight of newcomers Williams and
      Calbert Cheaney slashing to the basket frequently. He described Williams'
      first step as the quickest he has seen.
      The presence of the two is tied to the trading of Ron Mercer, a move that
      is sure to be judged at various checkpoints this season and maybe even
      beyond.
      ``You lose something and you gain something,'' Pitino said yesterday. ``We
      gained what we needed most - depth and getting to the foul line. We did
      lose a wonderful player in Ron, but the other factor is Calbert. He's part
      of that trade as well, because (with Mercer still in Boston) he doesn't
      pick us. He goes to Miami in a sign-and-trade. And then we also have maybe
      a lottery pick out of it the following year.''
      Ice man cometh
      Walker is still icing the ankle he sprained badly last season, but
      yesterday he had ice on both knees after the morning practice.
      ``It's just something I picked up from some veterans,'' Walker said.
      ``Scottie Pippen and those guys always ice their knees after they play. It
      makes you feel a lot better. Obviously I need to ice my ankle, but the
      knees is just for a precautionary measure.''
      Money, it's a gas
      After noting the C's made $12 million in his first season as coach and
      president (there was a loss last season), Pitino acknowledged that the
      business side of the club affects the on-court product.
      ``Yeah, I do (pay attention to such matters), because obviously you hope
      that the more money you make the more you can spend (on players),'' he
      said.