Bulpett/May On Eric Williams

      Boston Herald

      C's Williams leaves evil twin behind
      by Steve Bulpett
      Wednesday, October 6, 1999
      Between continual updates on Pedro Martinez and Drew Bledsoe, you may have
      noticed the Celtics picked up a guy named Eric Williams. And maybe you're
      wondering, is this the same Eric Williams the Celtics had two years ago?
      The answer is . . . more or less.
      This is decidedly less than the Williams who was sent to Denver for two
      second-round draft picks so the Celts would have money to sign immortals
      Chris Mills and Tyus Edney. Williams was around 240 pounds when the C's
      drafted him in 1995, and he had ballooned to 270 by his exit.
      Maybe Denver has bad restaurants, but Williams showed up at training camp
      this week sporting a sleek and muscular 225-pound body.
      The ``more'' comes in when Williams talks about his personal changes.
      He was basically dispatched from the Celtics when he failed to keep
      appointments with strength and conditioning coach Shaun Brown in that
      first summer of Rick Pitino, and the coach drew a line in the sand on him.
      ``I was younger back then,'' said Williams, pleased with his new chance
      with the Celtics. ``I'm more about professionalism now.
      ``When I went out to Colorado and then when I went down (for all but four
      games of the '97-98 season with a torn right ACL), it gave me more time to
      assess what was going on as far as me being a businessperson and a
      professional athlete. I knew I had to come back in the right physical
      shape. I had to work hard, and all that did was make me a better person
      and a better athlete.''
      Williams scored 26 points in two of those pre-injury games, but when he
      came back last season, there was a new coach and a generally unsettled
      result for him. He was said to be over the knee problem, but was a DNP by
      coach's decision 10 times and averaged just 7.3 points for the year.
      ``I came to practice and I worked hard,'' Williams said. ``I felt I was
      one of the best players on that team, and the organization, I guess,
      thought otherwise.''
      Now he thinks it is time to erase any issues Pitino had about his
      dedication. After the first of two practices yesterday, everything was on
      proper track.
      ``It was everything I expected, and it was good,'' Williams said of the
      three-hour session. ``The guys came in in shape. I didn't want to be one
      of the guys that didn't come in shape. You don't want to be labeled as not
      a hard worker.''
      And he doesn't want to squander another opportunity in Boston, a city
      close to his New Jersey home and near where he went to college
      (Providence).
      ``I'm happy for the chance to start all over again and come back to the
      Boston Celtics, the place I want to end my career at,'' Williams said.
      ``It was motivation,'' he added, referring to having been traded by the
      C's. ``I wanted to get back in here and prove I grew up a little bit and
      that I can be committed to be in the best shape of my life.''
      Having seen the NBA from a different time zone, Williams sounds more
      appreciative of his surroundings here.
      ``The only organization I'd ever known was the Boston Celtics, and
      everything else, if it didn't meet to that expectation, then it was like a
      letdown,'' he said. ``There were times when I could say I didn't really
      want to play there (in Denver). There were other times when there were a
      lot of ups and downs. But I know here you've got to be on an up all the
      time.''
      That's Eric Williams talking - the one with less body and more
      perspective.

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                He'll second that

                                After first try went awry, Williams looks
                                for better fit with Celtics

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/06/99

                                WALTHAM - He never wanted to go. He
                                never thought he'd go. Eric
                                Williams figured he and Antoine Walker
                                would be the bookend forwards of the
                                Celtics well into the millennium.

                                They still may be. Williams has been
                                welcomed back like a chastened schoolchild
                                and forgiven for being a stubborn summer
                                guy two years ago when he wasn't Pitino
                                Punctual.

                                Rick Pitino didn't want him then. Pitino
                                said he wants him now.

                                There aren't too many times when a player
                                gets traded and then is back in a couple
                                of years. In Celtic history, Don Chaney
                                was traded in 1975 and then brought back a
                                few years later. Sean Elliott was dealt to
                                Detroit and then brought back to San
                                Antonio, where he won a championship.

                                Williams, a 1995 first-round draft pick
                                from Providence College, played his first
                                two years in Boston and played well. Now,
                                after two forgettable years in Chernobyl
                                by the Rockies, he is elated to have his
                                No. 55 back and Walker at his side again.
                                Williams and Denver were a bad fit. His
                                first year was lost to injury. His second
                                was lost, period; he was a black hole on
                                offense, couldn't score, and was grounded
                                for 20 percent of the season by coach Mike
                                D'Antoni.

                                As you might expect, Williams doesn't have
                                a lot of fond Denver memories, although
                                when he first got there, he was excited
                                and eager. He was terrific for four games
                                in 1997-98 and then blew out his knee.
                                Last year, he was plain awful. He said the
                                Nuggets didn't bother with defense - only
                                Sacramento allowed more points and only
                                the Clippers allowed opponents to shoot a
                                higher percentage. Williams watched most
                                of it, playing only 20 minutes a game.

                                ''The organization didn't want to risk
                                playing me [after his injury], that's all
                                I can think of,'' he said. Another theory:
                                Williams thought he was a scorer, thought
                                he had to score, and that is not his game.

                                ''There were times when I can say I didn't
                                really want to play there,'' he said.
                                ''Other times, there were a lot of ups and
                                downs. I know here you've got to be on an
                                up all the time. I have put in the time
                                and effort. I'm mentally prepared to go.
                                I'm physically prepared to go.''

                                It's way too early to plug Williams into
                                where he was when he last was here - a
                                34-minute a game starting small forward
                                with a penchant for getting to the line,
                                numerous up-fakes, and, when the spirit
                                moved him, on-the-ball defense. There's
                                plenty of competition at small forward;
                                Walker may well start there while Calbert
                                Cheaney and Paul Pierce also are
                                comfortable there.

                                Mostly, though, Williams is happy to be
                                back. He wasn't happy when he was traded
                                the first time. He was happy to be traded
                                a second time. Even with the revolving
                                turnstile roster the Celtics have had the
                                last couple of years, there are still
                                familiar faces around: Walker, Dana
                                Barros, Pervis Ellison, and, lest we
                                forget, three former Nuggets (Danny
                                Fortson, Eric Washington, and Tony
                                Battie), who were on the 11-71 squad of
                                1997-98.

                                ''It's like I never missed a beat,'' he
                                said. ''It took me being away for me to
                                know what I had. And I'm back. I always
                                thought I was going to be a Celtic my
                                whole career. I just went away for a
                                couple years and now I'm back again. It's
                                up to me to make the best of it.''

                                Williams went through his first Pitino
                                practice yesterday as the Celtics
                                officially opened camp at their new
                                practice facility. There was another
                                practice last night and there will be
                                two-a-days for the next week. It's always
                                a good idea to come to camp in shape and
                                Williams looks a lot like he did when he
                                was a rookie in Boston in 1995.

                                The torn ACL suffered in 1997 has healed.
                                The Pillsbury Doughboy look that he
                                brought to camp in 1996 has disappeared
                                and, in its place, is a sleek, trim, fit
                                forward. Pitino noted that in the very
                                first practice, Williams was back to his
                                old ways, putting the ball on the floor,
                                going to the basket, and drawing fouls.

                                ''He's quick. He's got one of the best
                                first steps I've seen,'' Pitino said.

                                And what does Williams think of playing
                                for the man who banished him to Denver for
                                two second-round picks?

                                ''It's motivation for me,'' he said. ''To
                                get back here, to [show] that I grew up a
                                little bit, that I can be committed. I'm
                                ready to go.''

                                This story ran on page F01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/06/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.