Re: Spurs Anihilate Celts: San Antonio 121- Boston 98

In message <rYs8OKPC=qe1I7eA8MX05P1nVkp8@4ax.com>, Bill Cooper said:

> P.S.  A query for all you b-ball historians out there.  Several duos
> have been termed Twin Towers before Tim & Dave.  Chamberlain and
> Thurmond, Webster and Cartwright, and also Sampson and Olajuwon come
> to mind. How come Parish and McHale didn't make twin tower status?
> Aren't they almost exactly the same size as Duncan and Robinson?  And
> roughly as good?

I am not a basketball historian by any means, and I have read others'

To me, when people refer to "twin towers", they mean two centers playing
together.  All eight of the above were regarded as centers throughout their
careers.

McHale, although nearly seven feet, and with long arms, was regarded
throughout his career as a power forward.  He could probably have played
center, and did back up Parish, but he was not thought of as a true center.
I believe this is why he and Parish were not referred to as "twin towers."
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com