Twin Towers?

Bill Cooper wrote:

> P.S.  A query for all you b-ball historians out there.  Several duos
> have been termed Twin Towers before Tim & Dave.  Chamberlain and
> Thurmond, Webster and Cartwright, and also Sampson and Olajuwon come
> to mind. How come Parish and McHale didn't make twin tower status?
> Aren't they almost exactly the same size as Duncan and Robinson?  And
> roughly as good?

I'm not sure if Parish and McHale were as good as Duncan and Robinson.
Maybe they were because Robinson was past his prime when Duncan arrived.

In any event, I suspect that the real reason Parish and McHale were never
called "Twin Towers" was because they spent their careers playing in the
shadow of Larry Bird.

And, heck, Parish and McHale did get to be a part of "The Big Three",
which was better than being "Twin Towers".

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu