Re: Spurs Are Really Outclassing The Celts

--- You wrote:
This game does show us that the Celtics are far away from the Spurs
level. It was a reality check in that regard. The way the C's
were playing lately, I expected a more favorable showing against
the Spurs, especially after beating Indiana.
--- end of quote ---

It's amazing how you can draw such a strong conclusion from just one game.  The simple fact is that it's just one observation  from each team's ability distribution. Tonight, the Spurs performed at, or near, the top of their abilities, while the Celtics did the opposite. Moreover, I thought the Spurs fed on their good start and improved, while the Celtics' play sagged even more (until the meaningless 4th quarter, that is) as the game went on. Hence, I don't think tonight's game represents the true relationship viz. their respective abilities. The Spurs are better, but not THAT much better.

--- You wrote:
C's frontcourt and they can beat the Spurs. My point is that
the C's C/PF spots are so bad that it greatly hinders the C's
other quality players.
Ray
--- end of quote ---

They're adequate - except against Mr. Basketball Perfection and the Admiral, who's not shabby himself. But these two are the best 4-5 duo in the NBA, so that's par for the course. The bigger problem, however, was lack of defense at the other positions.  In fact, tonight resembled the first Indiana game this season, except the Spurs don't have Smits at center and play better defense than the Pacers. However, barring a freak coincidence, I fully expect the Celtics to do a lot better in San Antonio - not a win perhaps, but not garbage time for 3 1/2  quarters either. Look at what happened to Indiana the second time around.