Re: Mutombo Idea

Alex Wang wrote:

> Mutombo is 33 years old. Centers sometimes keep playing well into
> their late 30's so it's possible that he could be worth a look.
> He doesn't fit into an uptempo game but he's such a force on
> defense that he could singlehandedly transform the Celtics into
> a tough halfcourt defensive team. The finger wagging has to go
> though, at least on blocks where his team doesn't gain possession
> of the ball. Anyways, I personally don't agree with giving up
> our 23 year old star player for a 33 year old center, but that's
> because I still have a high opinion of Antoine. Also, if Mutombo
> gets traded, I doubt they give up Henderson in addition.

I'm just catching up on the several insightful posts from Alex and the rest of
you. Regarding Dikimbe, I've always liked him but I fear the proposed "Wiggle for
No No Finger" trade might actually make the Celtics a lot like the Hawks team of
last year, that is to say a weak offensive team featuring just one go-to scorer
able to create his own shot (Paul Pierce in place of Steve Smith). Basically,
we'll have gone from three "scorers" last season (Mercer, Walker, Pierce) all the
way down to one.

Adrian Griffin's team leading rebounding numbers and stellar point forward play so
far has made "Antoinette" Walker look a little redundant and certainly overpaid at
the moment, but this shouldn't lead us to underestimate how hard it is to replace
true NBA shot creators/scorers (much less ones who can contribute in other
important statistical categories). I think the Celts have a pretty promising blend
of scorers and role players who are actually quite productive in key areas
(rebounding for one thing). IMO, the talent on the current Celtics roster would
already have reaped more tangible results this year, if only our core players
weren't so young and our best rebounder wasn't injured.

Once Fort, Pierce, Walker, Griffin and Vitaly reach 27-28 years of age together, I
believe fans around the world will suddenly marvel at Boston's nearly classic
chemistry, balance and toughness at all five positions and sixth man. These fans
will root for the "good guys" to repeatedly win championships at the expense of
the LA Flakers (the Spurs have to eventually replace David Robinson; so will
Portland with Pippen, Steve Smith, Sabonis and Shrempf).

******