Sportline's : Miami and Boston are close in the standings but worlds apart

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,1609365_54,00.html

Miami and Boston are close in the standings but worlds apart Nov. 21,
1999
By Marcus Carmouche
SportsLine Staff Writer
MIAMI -- The difference in the standings between the Miami Heat and
Boston Celtics was one game before Saturday's Atlantic Division
showdown. The Heat sat on top of the division with the surprising
Celtics right on their heels.

Related Links:

The difference after Miami's 110-92 victory over the Celts, however,
can not be measured by the standings. Sure, Boston is only two games
back. But in reality, the Celtics could not be any further from Miami
if they played in the Western Conference.
On paper, the talent is there. The intangibles, however, are sorely
missing. Boston's loss to Miami brought to light what its six
victories overshadowed. Poise, maturity and cohesiveness are still
lacking on this team.
All you need to know about Boston is that Antoine
"I-still-haven't-met-a-shot-I-don't-like" Walker is a team captain.
And Boston has certainly followed his lead.
"Our No. 1 dilemma this year has been turnovers, and it was once again
tonight," Boston coach Rick Pitino said. "When we run our offense we
get good shots. When we break from out offense we turn the ball over.
I thought the turnovers were unforced turnovers -- charging on the
fast break, poor passes. It's difficult to win when you have 20
turnovers and only force 14.
"We still fight ourselves with passing. We have to look to pass first
before we shoot. And I'll hammer that in their ears. Not 60 percent,
not 75, it has to be 100 percent of the time."
After a season start with little bitterness, the Young and the Selfish
resurfaced in South Florida. The me-first mentality, the in-fighting
and the overall lack of direction was evident as Boston
self-destructed in the second half.
For the first half, the Celtics looked the part of a contender. The
following 24 minutes, they just fell apart.
The game was well within reach for Boston at the break. They trailed
the division leaders on the road by only five points. But over the
course of a three-minute span -- starting in the waning moments of the
third period -- Boston looked like they were playing with clam chowder
between their ears.
Boston's last two possessions of the third triggered the meltdown.
Paul Pierce, who scored 15 points on only 4-of-16 shooting, drove into
the teeth of the Miami defense and attempted a shot despite three Heat
players surrounding him. Jamal Mashburn punched the ball from Pierce's
grip and sped down court for a layup.
Next, it was Dana Barros' turn to play strip poker. With Boston
holding out for the last shot of the period, Dan Majerle knocked the
ball loose from Barros and hammered home an uncontested dunk as time
expired. Instead of cutting the deficit to under double digits, the
Celts were now down by 13 -- and basically out of the game.
Barros returned to the bench for his tongue-lashing by Pitino as well
as looks of frustration from teammates. There wasn't any
finger-pointing, but the looks of discontent were evident.
"They got frustrated," Miami's Tim Hardaway said. "When the calls
weren't going their way or they turned it over, they started looking
at each other to place the blame."
The fourth started in the same fashion for Boston. Barros and Walker
were on the break against a lone Heat defender. But instead of drawing
the defense and dishing the ball to Walker, Barros opted for a 10-foot
jump shot.
Yep, Walker is a captain on this team all right.
But Walker got even on the next trip down the floor. Despite no Miami
player within 15 feet of either Adrian Griffin or Pierce on the wings,
Walker decided the odds were a bit better for him to go 1-on-4 than to
pass to an open teammate. His runner clanked off the rim.

To make matters worse, Walker didn't hustle back on the defensive end
and P.J. Brown, whom he was matched up against, sailed in for an easy
dunk and built the Heat advantage to 89-75.
Miami coach Pat Riley was torn to shreds for keeping his gray-beard
team intact during the offseason. Based on Saturday's performance
against the Heat, Riley's decision paid off. The Heat are still the
class of the division. And as for their nearest competition, the
Celtics still have a thing or two to learn from their more experienced
counterparts. If anything, Saturday night in Miami Arena should have
provided the teaching ground.
"They're a good team, a very good team," Griffin said. "Miami is a
veteran team that is smart, but we're not far behind."
The Celtics are farther than you think, Adrian -- despite what the
standings say.