Crowd-pleasing Griffin always in the right place

http://www.projo.com/report/pjb/stories/02812272.htm
CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Crowd-pleasing Griffin always in the right place
BOSTON -- There is no doubt who has become the fan favorite during
Celtics games this year.
Adrian Griffin , the rookie from Seton Hall, is drawing special
applause every time he does anything. Since he is doing so much, that
means Griffin is getting all kinds of adulation.
The three year CBA vet was at it again last night in the 109-96
victory over the Nets with another in what is rapidly becoming a
typical night's work. He had 16 points, a team high 11 rebounds, 5
assists and 3 steals. He always seems to be in the right place at the
right time and make his best plays at the most critical times.
Against the Nets, he had four offensive rebounds in the game's first
six minutes, and nine points in the first quarter to help give the
Celtics a lead they never lost. In the third period, after the Nets
had cut the lead to five, he picked off a steal and went the length of
the court before being fouled. A few minutes later he was forced to
take a leaning shot in the lane as the shot clock was about to go off
-- and made it.
Super subs
The Celts got another big boost last night from an area which has not
been faring as well -- the second unit.
Doug Overton and Tony Battie , in particular, had big efforts.
Overton, signed Nov. 8, played 11 minutes in relief of Kenny Anderson
and had six points, a steal and an assist. Battie had 10 points and 9
rebounds in 27 minutes, but perhaps his biggest contribution was four
blocked shots, three in the space of one minute early in the fourth
quarter as Boston was pulling away.
``He has the ability to do that all the time,'' Boston coach Rick
Pitino said. ``He did a great job. He rebounded well and was active.''
``I was just doing my job trying to hold down the middle,'' Battie
said. ``My teammates did a great job of sending them to me in an
awkward position when they had to force up shots.''
Overton was happy to get the chance to show what he can do.
``I think we did a great job laying our style. I think Tony was the
key because he did a great job on the backline of blocking shots,
altering shots. We could rebound the ball. And we ran,'' Overton said.
Overton, who has previous experience with Orlando, New Jersey and
Philadelphia, is still learning the Pitino style.
``Offensively I kind of know what coach wants,'' he said. ``I'm still
learning how to press, understanding switching and trapping, when to
go and when not to go. That's going to take some time. I'm having fun,
though, just learning and playing. I like the style he plays.''
Home-cooking
The victory over the Nets gave the Celts a landmark of sorts -- it
equals the team's highest mark over .500 since Pitino became coach.
The only other time the Celts were three over .500 under Pitino was
three games into this season, when they were 3-0.
The team will be hard pressed to stay there, though. Beginning with
its game tonight in Miami, the Celts are embarking on easily their
most difficult stretch yet.
The Miami game will be followed by games against Indiana, San Antonio
and Milwaukee. The good news is that all are at the Fleet Center. The
Celts are now 6-1 at the Fleet.
Taking it slow
After playing 15 minutes, and playing well in the victory over
Cleveland Wednesday, Pervis Ellison did not get in the game. Pitino
says he is going slowly with Ellison and Ellison does not object.
The oft-injured center -- Ellison played only 39 games in the previous
three seasons, not at all last year -- says he is feeling fine. He's
just not quite back in form yet.
Pitino said he does not want to push Ellison because he feels the
former Louisville star is a key for his team. Pitino calls Ellison his
team's best center in several aspects, including shot blocking and
passing.
On the mend
Calbert Chaney was back in uniform last night after missing four games
with a sprained right ankle, but did not play.