That last loss

All I have to say about Saturday's loss to the Bulls is that
Kenny Anderson played great, a couple other guys were good in
spurts, but not consistent, and the rest of the team STUNK up
the place.

I think the main thing Pitino needs to teach the players after
a loss like this is that a 23-9 lead should not feel comfortable
to them.  The second unit came in and treated a 14 point first
quarter lead like it was "party time".  This is the NBA and even
the worst team in the league can come back against you if you
let their crowd into it, and give them a chance to believe they
can win.  The second unit let the Bulls back to within 8 by the
end of the first quarter, and that was it... game over.  You could
sense that the Bulls believed they could win.  Had the second unit
instead pushed the lead up to 18 or 20 points, the Bulls would
have started believing this game would go like all their earlier
games, and given in.

Pitino needs to get the C's players to FEEL uncomfortable and
unsatisfied with just a 14 or 20 point lead.  He has to get them
to want to keep playing hard with a goal of getting the lead
OVER 30 POINTS before relaxing.  I've seen teams come back from
25 points down, but I've never seen a 30 point lead become a loss.
They have to FEEL unsatisfied with a lead of 20 or 25 points.

Last year the Celtics would be excited by a 14 point lead (it seemed
"big").  This year, it's becoming common, so they're getting comfortable
with that kind of lead (it seems "normal), but they need to make it
so they're unsatisfied with a 14 point lead (it should feel "small").

If Pitino tells the players that he'll stop calling plays and let
them just have some fun in any game in which they get the lead
over 30 points, it might instill that positive difference in feelings
about what constitutes a "big" lead.

Jon Mc