Re: if you have a virginal win column, Boston's your date.

Alex Wang wrote:

> I have to say that I was really frustrated by this loss also.  Truly
> the bench lost the game for us this time, but at the same time, it
> wasn't like Pitino could have played the starters any more than he did
> (40 minutes for Griffin, 39 for Pierce, 37 for Walker, 33 for Kenny
> which was probably more than he should have been playing).

I don't know - it's not so much the minutes as substitution patterns and their
timing. Unless the five on the floor are all stinking it up and you want to make
a point, you don't sub 3-4 guys at once. Even Heinsohn, who never criticizes
Pitino, said the same thing last night.

>I think
> that regardless of who else was on the floor, when Kenny was out the
> offense was in trouble, so what can Pitino do? The bench is not a good
> halfcourt defensive unit; when Antoine is out it means that McCarty is
> playing power forward, Barros is undersized at point, we have Williams
> who is not a great defender. Definitely Barros is not getting the job
> done setting up the offense right now, though it doesn't help that his
> bench teammates can't hit a thing either.

Well, then, why not try Ellison at C, Battie at PF, McCarty  at SF, Overton at
PG, and a starter (i.e., Pierce or Griffin) at SG until Cheaney gets back.
Ellison has produced when called upon this year, Battie should be able to handle
second-string PFs, McCarty should at least bother the opposing SFs with his
height and wingspan, and Overton, at 6-3 and 195, is at least not overmatched
physically at PG and a "truer" point guard than Barros. (IMO, he, and not
Barros, should be the second-string point guard - leave Barros's PGing for
emergencies). This unit at the very least could play decent halfcourt defense
against the opponents' subs, so we wouldn't give up huge leads while most of the
starters are resting. Cheaney, if he cuts out the stupid touch fouls, is a good
defensive player. If Williams and Barros are on, work them into either the first
or the second unit for instant offense. Who knows, they may find it easier to
score when they're playing with 2-3 legitimate scoring threats. But you can't
just leave people in when they're shooting 1-8, and also not getting the job
done defensively, without trying all your options.
<snip>
Also, somebody made a good point about keeping injured players (i.e., Cheaney)
on the IL until they recover, and bringing Marty back in the meantime (if he's
healthy enough to play, that is :)) Marty, as we know, is no defensive stopper,
but he can hit the open J, is 6-10, plays smart, and simply provides another
option when the bench isn't getting it done. Smart players, even if they're
overmatched physically and talent-wise, usually can keep the situation stable
until the starters are ready to return.

Kestas