No Subject

Jerome Williams says that Boston plays his type of game. Wish we could
get him in our uniform because I agree with him. I think the comment
about the lack of weakside help in rebounding due to the trapping is
telling too.

BOSTON -- You think Alvin Gentry demands a lot from Jerome Williams? You
think the Pistons themselves demand a lot from him?
    They can't hold a candle to the demands his family puts on him.
    Last year, his father refused to cut his hair until Williams pulled
in at least 15 rebounds. Before the game Wednesday, Williams' younger
brother Josh, who was celebrating his 15th birthday, asked for a mere
20 rebounds and 10 points.
    "They ask for a lot, don't they," Williams said after the Pistons
defeated the Celtics, 110-92, and broke their four-game losing streak.
"But I try to please them every time I get the opportunity."
    Williams pleased everybody except the Celtics. He came up a bit
short of 20 rebounds -- but he did have a career-high 16. To make up
for that, he doubled the points request -- scoring 20.
    For good measure, he also contained Boston's Antoine Walker,
shutting him out in the fourth quarter.
    "Let's just say I will always be ready to play against Boston,"
Williams said. "They play a lot like the way I attempt to play. They
like to pressure the ball, and you have to know there won't be any
backside help. So I know I will get a lot of offensive rebounds and
a lot of points. I basically just sat down in there and waited."
    Williams played so well, Gentry decided to keep Christian Laettner
on the bench the entire fourth quarter.
    "It wasn't that Christian wasn't playing good, it was just that
Jerome was playing better," Gentry said. "Jerome is a better matchup
against Antoine. Jerome is athletic and rangy, just like Antoine."
    Walker scored most of his 18 points with Laettner guarding him.
    "We just had to get over the hump," Williams said. "That loss in
Milwaukee (Saturday) really stuck with us. We knew to get over it,
we would have to come out and give 110 percent effort tonight."