Re: TSN's Peter May report

>From: "Ozersky, Joshua A" <OzerskyJA@corning.com>
>
>Team Report posted NOVEMBER 9, 1999  <<...>> Print it!
>By TSN correspondent
>Peter May
>Boston Globe
>
>But they remain defensively challenged, especially in half-court
>situations.

What do the rest of you think about this issue?  To me, the team looks
dramatically better in half course defense compared to either of the last
two years.  Especially when you consider the added difficulties of playing
defense under the new rules.  If you ask me, they were doing great until
they started pressing, which was more in games 3 & 4, against better, more
experienced teams, and at a time when the Celtics would be getting tired
from completing a 4 game in 5 night stretch.  I didn't see a lot of the
Indiana game, but they looked to be trapping a lot more, both in the
halfcourt and the press, and were giving up a lot of wide open shots.
Against Indiana!  You know, a team that can shoot lights out if you leave
them open, but aren't the fastest guys in the world to stay with one-on-one.
  Granted, I did miss the second half, where the C's apparently played much
better.

It will be interesting to see what strategy Pitino employs tonight against a
rested and prepared team that has picked the Celtics' press apart in recent
years.  I have a feeling he'll try a lot of pressing, which is a mistake, in
my opinion.  If they stick to pushing the tempo (shouldn't be a problem
against a Pistons team that wants to run anyway), playing solid man-to-man
defense with switching in help situations and limit the Pistons running game
by taking good shots and hitting a lot of them, they should come out with an
easy home win.  That's the formula that looked successful against Toronto,
Washington and Charlotte, but it doesn't seem to be how Pitino wants to
play.  It's always push the pace on both ends, especially when behind.
Problem is, when they are pressing they seem to lose their heads on offense.
  It's rush, rush, rush, get the ball or give up a dunk and then forget
about ball movement on offense.

I'm probably getting a little paranoid.  I mean, I expected them to lose
that Indiana game, and the overall positive signs are just too strong to
ignore.  I am going to the game tonight, as Opie mentioned.  It is my first
game in quite some time, so I'm looking forward to it.  I did go to one of
the pre-season layup drills against Toronto last year, but that didn't
count.  I won't say that this game is critical or even important in the big
picture of the season, but this is the TYPE of game they will need to win a
lot of in order to make the playoffs.  So far, they've beaten two playoff
bubble teams, one home (must keep doing this), one road (a bonus), beaten a
conference contender at home (another bonus)  and lost to another on the
road (going to lose most of those).  Keep that up and thing will be fine.
They haven't played any of the real basement teams yet either.  It'll be
interesting to see how they look against them.

Later,
Jim