BosHerald Pregame Quotes

``This team (Detroit) gives us headaches watching them,'' Pitino said.
``They have the most unique style of play I've seen. They want to play
like Loyola-Marymount with defense; the old Loyola-Marymount.''

 ``Detroit is every bit as good as Toronto, Charlotte and Washington,
maybe better,'' said Pitino, comparing them to teams the Celtics
defeated this season. ``This is the toughest opponent we've had to
face. If they were 0-19, you'd have some statistical information that
might mean something.''

Pitino said he's hoping the Celtics' team defense can contain Hill and
Stackhouse. Celtics rookie Adrian Griffin will likely draw the
assignment of guarding Hill down the stretch, a tall order for any
player, let alone a newcomer.

``With their offense, it's the best poison you can pick between
Stackhouse and Hill,'' Pitino said. ``But if it comes down to the final
minutes of play, yes, (Griffin) would. If Hill is the go-to guy, he'll
guard Hill.''

 (Griffin)  said he's overwhelmed by the confidence shown in him by the
team.  But in applying the brakes to his sudden fame, the 6-foot-5 small
forward said he's just one player in the team's mix.

``It's not going to be a one-on-one situation,'' he said of guarding
Hill. ``It's going to be a team situation. But I'm going to do my best
to stay in front of (Hill), do what I can, and I know my teammates will
have my back,'' he said.

Second-year guard Paul Pierce agreed that it will take a total defensive
effort against the Pistons for the C's to have success.

``We have to contain them in transition,'' he said. ``Not let them get
any easy baskets and make them work.

``We know Hill is a great open-court player, so we'll have to collapse
on him, make him pass the ball and contain the other guys.''

Co-captain Antoine Walker said he's also keenly aware of the Pistons'
ability to put points on the board.

``They had a tough schedule the first four games,'' said Walker. ``We
have to try and take advantage of that, try to jump on them  early and
take away their confidence. It's very tough to stop Grant  Hill, and
Jerry Stackhouse has had a great year as well.''