Re: NY Post trade rumor

Well, the deal seems a bit weird since each team is evidently giving
up a premier player (Sprewell, Brandon, and Pierce) but the Knicks
would be receiving two of the three back; so it doesn't make sense
for at least one team.

Since these rumors tend to have a small smidgeon of truth to them
and also tend to be hopelessly outdated (notice that this one comes
out long after all of these guys are securely signed), I'll give an
attempt at reconstructing what really happened.

It probably took place before Brandon had been re-signed and Mercer
had been traded; in fact, probably before draft day because the draft
picks are really the only other important tradable assets that the
Timberwolves had. The Timberwolves are not completely sold on Brandon
and are seeing what they can get for him. NY is also hesitant about
Sprewell, but doesn't feel like a straight swap of Brandon and
Sprewell is equitable. Into the picture comes Pitino, who is trying
to move Mercer; he wants Minnesota's 6th pick (and maybe the 14th too)
for Ron Mercer, with the intention of drafting Bender, if available,
or Shawn Marion (Chris Wallace evidently said that this is who they
would have drafted had they kept the 8th pick). Mercer and Brandon
would get shipped by Minnesota to NY for Sprewell. NY doesn't feel
like it's enough and asks for Pierce. Pitino says Pierce is untouchable
and it's the end of that discussion.

Alex