Re: Eric

opi@unesco.org wrote:

> RSMALL@clarku.edu wrote:
>
> > I know people hate /mercer and keep bringing him.  What I don't iunderstand is
> > why people keep bringing him up.  He is gone focus on the team that is here.
>
> Rich, I guess it's partly because Boston fans may have felt ticked off to read
> about how much we got swindled and robbed blind by another team. That's just not
> supposed to happen with the Boston Celtics.
>
> As far as I know among sportswriters nationwide, only Bob Ryan said he liked this
> trade (and in the most muted and qualified terms). I guess Boston Sports Guy also
> liked the trade more or less. Everyone else (including local scribes) used this
> occasion to praise Dan Issel's trade acumen and ridicule the Celtics in the most
> smug of tones.
>
> In general I agree with your post, but you just have to realize a context wherein
> every poll and every columnist showed overwhelming condemnation of the "desperate"
> and fallen Celtics franchise. Remember that we also got a possible Y2K rebounding
> champ contender (Fortson) plus a Denver first rounder of our choice in the deal,
> even if the Eric Williams-Ron Mercer swap looks very unfavorable at this moment as
> each team starts the new season.
>
> Hopefully, this will be my last comment on Mercer but, privately, sure I'd love to
> see some of these writer's eventually eat their words.

Well, I resent the fact that Mercer goes and hires, I'm good enough to be in the NBA
Miller, as an agent and then makes a grandstand move to force a trade.  Percy doesn't
even know his own abilities, much less the value of Mercer in the free agent market.
So, as a result of Mercer and Miller thinking he is da bomb, we lose a potentially
great player.  Therefore, I hope to see Mercer prove the Celtics right when they
judged that he was not worth that kind of money and traded him.  Yeah, I resent his
selfishness and childishness.  Then there is also still the question of what was he
doing with that woman and was it really against her will.  So, maybe there are other
problems there.  But, bottom line is, I want to see him NOT be a superstar cause he
turned his selfish back on my team, which he should have loved.

Not to mention what Joe just said!  :-)
--

Bentz Kirby
bocelts@usit.net