Prediction

Without analyzing the schedule, I am going to go with my gut that we will top
out at 40 wins, max. Given the parity in the division, that may be good enough
for the 8th playoff spot; it all depends on who does a Toronto this year and
who does a Seattle, if you get what I mean.

I make these predictions based on having Fortson come back strong and healthy;
I agree with Joe "Hawaii Five-O" that we're going to really suffer without
Fort, and I think predictions of our playing .500 ball while he's out are
wildly optimistic.

With a healthy Fortson, we still have many questions:

•Can Walker finally show maturity and discipline? That first preseason game
against Washington was an inspiration, the second game a frustrating return to
form. I was terribly discouraged that Antoine refused to tell Holley the
playoffs are a must this season, saying instead "I'm only 23 years old, I'm
not worried about that."

If we get Antoine Walker playing to his peak potential all season long, along
with Paul Pierce at his usual excellent level, that makes us a team tough to
beat on any given night.

•Can the coaches draw up smart plays? e.g., posting up Pierce inside rather
than having him rely on the jumper; playing Walker at the 3 rather than at the
4, and playing Battie and Fortson at 4 rather than at 5.

•Can and will Kenny push the ball? Will Pitino sit him in favor of Turner if
he doesn't?

•Can our veteran acquisitions, Williams and Cheaney, contribute? Will we see
the Williams we saw in the first two exhibitions? Can Cheaney return to form
as a defender and shooter? With those two, we have a very solid bench; without
them, it will be the same old, same old.

I'm optimistic enough to believe that if the players play with hunger and
passion, as they did in Pitino's first season, we can easily hit on all
cylinders and produce winning basketball. Having seen last season, I also
realize we could again end up with free-lancers, bench stiffs, Pitinospeak and
Peter May venom.

Last season I played it conservative and predicted 23 wins; with a healthy
Popeye, I think we could have made it. Holley is right, this is a
make-or-break season for Pitino, Walker and the Celtics. They must show signs
of progress, demonstrable in the win column and in heady, professional play.

To that end, if Big Red is helping tutor the C's, the first thing Pitino
should do right now is clear up a space for him on the assistant coaching staff.