Michael Holley: Payment Due For Pitino

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Payment due

                                It's Pitino's third season - time for the
                                Celtics, their owner, and their fans to
                                get a significant return on a big
                                investment

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 11/02/99

                                He had been in his office for
                                nearly an hour, sitting next to a
                                window but talking as if he were watching
                                the world from a chair on his front porch.

                                He mentioned his love for his hero, Vince
                                Lombardi. He explained why he believes
                                Sports Illustrated is ''shallow'' and why
                                he will never talk to anyone from the
                                magazine again. He said the old TV show
                                ''Hawaii Five-O'' made his first job, at
                                the University of Hawaii, even more
                                attractive. He spoke of losing Ron Mercer
                                and eventually said, ''It's very, very
                                difficult being an executive in this
                                organization.''

                                But the words that best define what Rick
                                Pitino now faces were spoken near the
                                bottom of the hour. He knows the Celtics
                                must make the playoffs this season. Must.
                                If they don't, something about the views
                                in this suburban office, perched above a
                                parquet floor, will change. Either Pitino
                                will not be able to look out the window
                                and see Antoine Walker working out, or
                                Walker will not be able to look up and see
                                the coach, inches away from a glittering
                                NCAA championship trophy, frantically
                                talking about basketball.

                                The team begins Pitino's third season and
                                Walker's fourth tonight in Toronto. The
                                coach knows it could be their last season
                                together. Walker isn't so sure. After a
                                strained summer, the men recently shared
                                some of their frustration with one
                                another.

                                Walker told the coach he didn't like
                                having his name linked to trade rumors or
                                weight problems. Pitino listened and then
                                had some comments of his own. He repeated
                                them as he sat at his office table.

                                ''I told him, `You're going into your
                                fourth season. If we don't make the
                                playoffs, you think Paul Gaston is going
                                to be happy?''' Pitino said. ''And then I
                                told him: `Antoine, if I don't make the
                                playoffs in the following season - my
                                fourth - where do you think Rick Pitino is
                                going to be? So let's face reality. We're
                                both being paid a lot of money to produce.
                                If you don't produce as the highest-paid
                                player and I don't produce as the
                                high-paid coach, we both know we're going
                                to be out of jobs.'''

                                At this point the coach is interrupted.
                                Out of jobs? Does he want to say that? He
                                will have $29 million remaining on his
                                contract after this season. Walker's
                                contract averages $12 million a year over
                                the next six seasons. Even Pitino
                                acknowledged to Walker that he was
                                ''nearly untradeable'' last summer because
                                of his contract. If Walker is untradeable,
                                does that not make Pitino unfireable?

                                ''That urgency and pressure is necessary
                                for me to get this team ready,'' the coach
                                said. ''You have to think that way. You
                                have to think you're under the gun. If you
                                think, `My contract is too long, so they
                                won't ...,' you're a survivor, not a
                                winner.''

                                Walker was asked about that urgency. He
                                was asked if he thinks about things
                                changing if the team doesn't make the
                                playoffs.

                                ''I'm young,'' he said. ''I'm 23 years
                                old, man. I'm not worried about that.''

                                Pitino wants to be the coach that his hero
                                was. He said his hero's mix of discipline
                                and compassion would be successful even
                                today. What he didn't say is that his hero
                                would have hated this. There are clear
                                differences of opinion between Pitino and
                                Walker.

                                Pitino on Walker's weight: ''By Dec. 1,
                                he'll be in the shape we need him to be
                                in.''

                                Walker on his weight: ''I'm not talking
                                about my weight. I play basketball. My
                                weight ain't never been a problem. What,
                                is that an excuse or something? I'm not
                                even going to answer that. That is
                                [Pitino's] own personal thing.''

                                They have to shorten the differences and
                                make things work on the court. More than
                                that, they must make it work. Must. If
                                they don't make the playoffs, somebody
                                will leave. Will it be Pitino?

                                ''No, I would never walk away,'' he said.
                                ''That's just not me. No, I would never
                                walk away.''

                                Pitino has coached for 26 seasons, making
                                his living as a man who is willing to
                                travel to the site of a basketball wreck,
                                piece the discarded parts together, and
                                drive it to the brink of a title. He got
                                Boston University to the NCAA tournament.
                                He took Providence College to the Final
                                Four. He took the New York Knicks to the
                                top of the Atlantic Division. He won a
                                title at the University of Kentucky. He
                                got the Celtics to ... play hard?

                                Everyone was paying attention when he
                                predicted the team would make the playoffs
                                this season. No team of his has ever
                                failed to make the playoffs in Year 2 and,
                                he said, ''In my estimation, this is my
                                second year. I'll take full responsibility
                                for last year, but I am not, in my mind,
                                going to consider that our second year.''

                                So what happens if this season does not
                                result in the playoffs? The coach smiles
                                before he gives this answer:

                                ''Well, I guess you'll have to go back to
                                my track record because that has never
                                happened before.''

                                Bottom lines

                                Pitino also hasn't had a boss like Gaston
                                since the late 1980s. That is, he hasn't
                                had a boss who has constantly reminded him
                                of limitations. Gaston has done that with
                                the team's finances.

                                ''We'd all like to be the New York Knicks,
                                or New Jersey Nets, or Miami Heat,'' said
                                Pitino. ''We would all like to have
                                millionaire owners where you just spend as
                                much as you want. Some teams have it and
                                some teams don't. That's a fact of life.''

                                The Celtics don't have it. That is part of
                                the reason Pitino said life is difficult
                                as a Celtics executive. Gaston could argue
                                that no one told Pitino to commit a
                                combined $56 million to marginal free
                                agents Travis Knight and Chris Mills. Or
                                to let David Wesley walk when he could
                                have been had for about $3 million.
                                Instead, Pitino drafted Chauncey Billups
                                and eventually replaced him with Kenny
                                Anderson, who is on the Celtics' books
                                until 2003 - for twice as much money as it
                                would have taken to sign Wesley.

                                ''I totally understand where Paul Gaston
                                is coming from. Totally,'' said Pitino.
                                ''He is not in this business to lose
                                money. If he was a billionaire, maybe he
                                would be in the business to lose. But he's
                                not, so he runs it like a business.''

                                Money also affected the makeup of this
                                season's team. Paul Pierce will be at
                                shooting guard, taking the place of
                                Mercer. Pitino said he is friendly with
                                the guard (now in Denver), and Mercer
                                agrees.

                                ''I knew I wasn't going to be a Celtic as
                                early as May [3], when we were playing in
                                New York,'' Mercer said last week. ''We
                                had a talk about the budget and Coach said
                                what he had to offer me. I don't think it
                                was any secret that I was going to be
                                traded. I didn't know it was going to be
                                Denver, but I respect Coach for not
                                putting me in a position where I would be
                                shocked.''

                                These are surprising words coming from
                                Mercer, who seemed to be in the circle of
                                people who had problems with Pitino in the
                                offseason. The coach and Walker clashed.
                                Larry Bird said that Pitino asked him to
                                be an assistant coach before Bird left
                                town (Pitino denies this). Chauncey
                                Billups called him ''cold.'' Mercer's
                                former agent, Tevester Scott, accused him
                                of telling Mercer he had a contract
                                extension with the Nuggets, when in fact
                                the Nuggets hadn't planned such a deal
                                (Mercer is now represented by Edward
                                Hawkins of No Limit Sports).

                                ''I never had a problem with Coach,''
                                Mercer said. ''The fact is that I respect
                                him.''

                                Maybe that is one of the elements in
                                Pitino's favor this year: He is always at
                                the center of something unpredictable. He
                                was surprised three years ago when an
                                illustration in Sports Illustrated, in his
                                opinion, ''was not only sexist in nature
                                but made me look like I was possessed from
                                the devil. They had an illustration of my
                                wife tied to a backboard, looking like
                                Joan of Arc. I was dragging her from job
                                to job. Tied to a backboard! I took that
                                as an affront to what I am all about.''

                                Pitino said he asked the magazine editors
                                to apologize, but no one did, ''and I
                                said, `Screw you. You'll never talk to me
                                again.' It would be easy to apologize, but
                                they are too shallow for that.''

                                Maybe Pitino's history of being close to
                                surprises will translate to the court;
                                perhaps his tragically soft defensive team
                                will suddenly be able to rebound and
                                defend at an exceptional level. Maybe he
                                and Walker will continue to get along.
                                Maybe he will talk to a reporter from SI.
                                Maybe he will be more like his hero, who
                                was so good that he has not only a trophy
                                named after him but also a street and
                                turnpike service area.

                                Recently, Pitino pulled his veterans aside
                                and asked them, ''Aren't you guys tired of
                                getting your ass kicked in?'' He was
                                talking about their absence from the
                                playoffs. If things go the way the coach
                                thinks, the question will be irrelevant.

                                This story ran on page E01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 11/02/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.