blind spot

> > I remember reading an article where Russell was talking about he and
> > some of the Celtics going out on the court, finding all their blind
> > spots in their vision,
>
> That's interesting. They must've been looking for a long time, since people
> with normal vision have only one blind spot per eye - the so-called optic
> disk where nerve fibers exit the retina. However, you can only find it when
> one eye is closed, since, when both eyes are open, our visual system "fills
> in" for the blind spots and we in effect don't have any. If you want
> details, write me off-list.

I think what Russell is talking about is that they would assume their
positions on the floor, ie, where in a game they would be against the
other team's offence and map out together what areas they could see, not
see, cover, not cover and figure out how to communicate, work together
and essentially, be each others eyes.  They did this on their own, not
as part of over preparation by the coach, but because they wanted to
win.  How many players on the Celtics today would do that.  I mean Toine
won't even come to Boston, much less sacrifice his personal
gratification to win.

Even Isaiah would spend each summer working on how to beat the Celtics
and the Lakers.  He was hungry, dedicated and willing to do whatever it
took.  Who on our team has that attitude, Kenny, no; Toine, no; Mercer,
maybe; Pierce, maybe; Pot(sp?), yes.  So, who is going to step forward.
These kids are young, rich and spoiled.  They may not have the heart and
dedication it takes.

Dorine is right when she says we don't need Penny, we need hungry
veterans who can lead.
--
Bentz Kirby
bocelts@usit.net