Jonathan Comey: Trade Mercer/Battie - Build Team Around Walker/Pierce

I think what he says will happen too...

      NewStandard: 5/23/99

      Catching up with some sports shorts
      Jonathan Comey

      <snips>

       Watching the Sacramento Kings play against Utah in the first round of the
      playoffs made me realize something: the Celtics are so close, yet so far
      from becoming a real threat.
       If you watched the Kings play, you had to be impressed. But with all the
      hype about rookie point guard Jason Williams, he had little to do with the
      team's success.
       It was all about the interior toughness, defense and passing of Chris
      Webber and Vlade Divac, and the play of their fantastic role players.
       Why can't the Celtics come up with that kind of a mix? Antoine Walker is
      every bit as good as Chris Webber -- not as powerful inside, but with
      better passing and scoring skills.
       Walker is here for the long haul, and he is a rare talent. Paul Pierce
      seems to also have that rare talent, with the extra grit that Walker
      sometimes lacks.
       It seems to me that Rick Pitino needs to build a team around these two
      great players, not just pile up good players and hope they jell.
       I have heard that Ron Mercer and Tony Battie will be traded, and I'm all
      for it. But instead of trading for a lottery pick, or a young big man, why
      not pick up a veteran banger? I thought Popeye Jones was going to be that
      guy, but injuries and Pitino's indifference seemed to squash that idea.
       Clearly, the Celtics need a veteran power forward who can teach the young
      core of the team a bit about defense, passing and toughness.
       As much as I like Pitino, it doesn't seem like he can teach those
      lessons.