Optimism not shared

Josh:

Thanks for posting your article to the list.  I qualify the accompanying
comments by relaying both my respect for your analysis and my
appreciation for other list members' perspectives on the
state-of-the-Celtics' organization.

However, I'm inclined to disagree with several of your major assertions [I
apologize in advance for working on memory, but I accidentally deleted
your original message].  First, and most importantly in my mind, is your
interpretation of the relatively brief Pitino-era.  You made a point about
Rick being an excellent coach, whereas I get the impression that his
tenure has been categorized by a futile attempt to implement a system
more suited for collegiate play, poor player / personnel decision making,
and spin-doctored public relations.

We on the list have debated the value of "Trader Rick's" decisions until
blue in the face (Billups / Anderson, Eric Williams, Travis Knight's
exorbitant contract, etc. all come to mind), and it's not my intention to
again broach that subject here.  Rather, my purpose is to put forth the
assertion that there are many on the list who would disagree that Pitino's
personnel moves have been beneficial to the organization.  Let's face it:
they lucked into Pierce dropping to #10, they lucked into Mercer (while
simultaneously sustaining the unlucky blow of missing out on Tim
Duncan), but Pitino has done little else to upgrade the roster, with the
exception of the Potapenko trade.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily chalk the futile implementation of Pitino's
system to "fat, out of shape players" or inexperience.  Valid questions
persist about the feasibility of an all-out trapping, full-court press style.
Seattle experimented (in vain) for years with just such a system, and
was unable to advance in the playoffs until adopting a half court
defensive style that emphasized selective trapping.  And that was with
defensive stalwarts Gary Payton and Nate McMillan ballhawking at the
point of the press.  Thus, the jury is still out as to whether this type of
defense can be effective on a full-time basis in the NBA.

Second, I'm not convinced that Antoine Walker's play this past season
deserves the full measure of the accolades you bestowed upon him.
Nothing illustrated the full measure of Walker's selfishness more than the
teams mini-resurgence during his absence.  Chemistry is the most
important determinant of team success in the NBA (witness the Jazz /
Lakers series outcome last year in the playoffs as evidence).  Improved
3-point percentage and marginal improvement in free throw percentage
notwithstanding, Antoine continues to be a selfish player, and fans have
grown weary of the all-too-common 3-15 nights and the point-blank
misses in the paint.

Also, who are you to categorize the Boston fans as "know-nothings?"
Not to long ago (albeit during the "Big Three" era), Celtics fans were
considered amongst the most knowledgeable in the league.  Are you
basing this opinion on the fact that a verbal majority of media
personalities and fans alike disagree with your contention that this team
showed clear signs of being on the rise?  Perhaps they have grown
tired of the bad play, lopsided losses, and incessant Pitino double talk
and hair splitting.

Finally, how can you possibly make the claim that we are equal talent
wise to the Philadelphia 76ers and the Sacramento Kings.  With the
additional caveat that the two aforementioned teams easily made the
playoffs this year, there are many other significant differences, as well.
First, both teams are loaded in the frontcourt, rebound well, have depth,
and benefit from unusually solid power forward / center play.  Also, both
teams have solid point guards (say what you will, but both Jason
Williams' flash / outside shooting and Eric Snow's steady, journey play
were significant factors in their respective teams' success this season).

One final criticism:  making assertions does not mean that those positions
genuinely reflect actuality.  Rather, they are opinion statements.  While I
really don't want this to be perceived as an antagonistic criticism of your
analysis, I felt that it was important to rebut several of your positions.  I
suppose that this sentiment has been building up for a while now, as I've
grown weary of overly optimistic outlooks on this past season.

Just my two cents,
Ryan Falcone