Re: Now the pressure's really on Rick.

--- Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu> wrote:

> OK, there are over fifteen players who have actually
> played for the
> Celtics under the Pitino system. How many people
> have actually said
> that they won't play for Pitino? Less than sixty I'd
> say, so your
> number seems completely unjustified. By the way, who
> has actually said
> that? I can only think of two or three players.

Massenberg, Knight, Mills, amongst others Duncan <didn't want to be
drafted by the celtics>, Tim Hardaway and numerous others that I can't
recall that have been posed this question. You don't have to belive me,
in Pitino's first year when George Karl was asked the same question. He
said that he understands the system, but it will be very hard for
Pitino to get NBA players to agree to play it.

> So you are saying, since we are ignorant, keep them
> together? I am sure
> Pitino has an idea of whether he has the core he
> wants, and he will trade
> or not trade based on that.

Well! you are entitled to that opinion, but Pitino would do well to
aquire some patience. In his two years as GM has made his share of
mistakes. Fortunately he has been lucky that none of them have come
back to haunt him. It will be interesting to see what he does with
Anderson, ofcourse if he trades Mercer along with Anderson then it will
be easy.

> Are you suggesting that keeping Billups (and paying
> him) would have solved the point guard issue? I have > a feeling that
Billups will never play point guard
> in the NBA again.

I am not contending Billups ability as a pg. I am citing Billups trade
as an example of how one can aquire more in terms of salary through a
trade <which was my original point>.