No Subject

Bulpett essentially says, the C's will get some intriguing offers
for both Walker (should make Peter May happy) and Mercer.  Paul
Pierce will draw a lot of interest too, but Il Duce's not going to pay
much attention to anything involving Pierce.

Bulpett believes that: "the Celtics should lean on standing pat and let
their people develop. "

But, should they move either Walker or Mercer (Ray's note: Easier to
move
Mercer who's non-BSC until he's re-signed). Bulpett says: "the club most
certainly need to get special talent in return."

Well, who wouldn't agree with that?  Gary Payton certainly qualifies.

Bulpett goes on to state: "Pitino seems to concur.  While stressing the
need for his team to add experience, he is wary of the downside.

"'Don't make a move to get older and take away the benefits of the pain
you've already suffered.  We're in a little bit of a quandary of what
to do and what not to do.  So what we have to do is make a  move if it
makes us significantly better.  We can't do something that makes you
stay
the same, especially when you have to teach things to the new people
coming
and going through any orientation period.'"

Well, as Bob Ryan once said, "Anything Rick Pitino says can be written
down
with a pencil... and not even a Number 2 pencil at that."  Also, toss
into
the fact that Pitino's main pal, Jersey Red said in last week's column,
changes are coming.  So, I wouldn't place a lot of faith into the C's
standing pat...

Back to Bulpett: He says Pitino and Oakley are pals, and that if a move
was made
"that frees Walker to slide to small forward, expect to hear the name of
free agent power forward Charles Oakley quite a bit."  Oakley however,
won't go anywhere he can't start.

Hmmm.  Imagine Mercer, Battie, Barros, and a future draft choice for
Payton,
and then adding Oakley as a power forward.  Not a bad lineup.

                              _____________

Other Bulpett goodies:

Pat Riley's willing to move everyon. on the Heat, except Mourning.

The C's are not desperately seeking Richmond or Person, just those two
ball players have interest in signing with the C's as free agents
dispelling
the notion that no veterans are interested in playing under Pitino's
system.

Other non-Bulpett news:

Wally Szczerbiak was measured at 6-6.

The Raptors had Lari Ketner and Todd MacCulloch in for a workout.
Ray