Re: Mercer on the block? One speculative scenario. . .

Tom,

Gugliotta would be a definitely be a nice addition and would probably
fit better with the Celtics than he has with the Suns. As you've said,
he's an excellent complementary player but the Suns do not have enough
go-to scorers to utilize his passing skills. On the Celtics, he'd
have Walker and Pierce, more similar to the situation he excelled in
with Minnesota.

I don't think Mercer and Barros would be enough to entice Pheonix
to part with Gugliotta though. Evidently the Lakers were willing to
give up Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for him, which is more value
than Mercer and Barros IMO. I'd think that Pheonix would have an
interest in Potapenko or Battie though, and might consider it if
you threw in Battie rather than Ellison, for instance.

My guess is that Pheonix doesn't touch Gugliotta though; they don't
seem like the type of organization to ship out a guy who signed with
them for less money, even if he has disappointed them a bit. I'd
expect them to try to add to their team via exemptions and the draft
and keep their core intact.

Alex