Getting Baker for Mercer&Anderson would be the final piece

Tidbits from recent articles in the Seattle Times:

<Is Gary Payton paying attention? Would he surrender the ball, just a little
bit, to another point guard, if the Sonics found the right guy? . . >
----->Hello Ken Anderson<------

<During the offseason, Seattle will look to acquire a physical big man, an
athletic shooting guard and a backup to Payton at point guard. >

<Next season, Payton likely will have a new backcourt partner for the first
time in five years: If Hawkins isn't traded, he will come off the bench.

"We want Hersey back," Westphal said. "But I don't necessarily want him
playing 40 minutes. I think at this stage in his career, he has a lot to
offer.

"But we need another backcourt player who can give us a lot of minutes and a
lot of versatility."

Hawkins seems willing to accept a changed role. "I have absolutely no
problems with coming off the bench. I just want to win. If they want me to do
that next season, that's fine with me," Hawkins said. Even so, Hawkins is a
likely trade candidate. Westphal's system works best with an off-guard who
can shoot off the dribble.>>           ----->Hello Ron Mercer<------

<A Sonic-less NBA playoffs will be different, for sure. But not necessarily
all bad. Consider the Emerald City upside:

Vin Baker leaves town, freeing up the Super Burrito line at local Taco Del
Mar.

Extra offseason days for Wally to dangle large contracts before half the
starting lineup of the Los Angeles Clippers. >

Conclusion: Baker has said in the past he would love to be a Celtic. Vin
would be the perfect starting PF and backup center. A re-signed Battie could
backup both positions. Vin could be our go-to guy at the end of the game,
providing he gets in shape. If Baker would say he wouldn't sign with the
Sonics and only the Celtics, then they could do a sign-and-trade using
Anderson's money as the match. I would like to keep Mercer but he would have
to go to make the deal go down. This allows us to sign Battie and Pierce in
the future. We can't have everyone on this team making 8 million a year.
Baker was totally out of shape this year and plays much better along side a
physical center. PERHAPS WE CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A OFF-YEAR FOR BAKER. We
couldn't just trade Mercer because of the base year problem. Baker would be
the final piece of a championship team. Barros is a little weak at the PG
positon but would be adequate with enough talent at the other positons.

Championship Lineup:

1-Barros, Jones
2-Pierce, Minor
3-Walker, McCarty