Re[2]: coaches

A few responses:

>Another issue I'd like to bring up concerns the potential trading of Mercer
>and the ramifications of moving Toine to the 3 spot.  I am very concerned
>that some of the quicker 3's in the league will just plain beat his ass off
>the dribble, resulting in either someone stepping in to pick up the foul, or
>just an easy bucket.  I am trying not to be a doubting thomas, but that
>thought scares the shit outta me.

No more than his continually being overpowered by stronger power forwards, I
hope. On the flip side of your argument, how many small forwards can handle
Walker in the post? Not many, I'd venture.

>Someone else, probably Dan F., mentioned that Mercer fails to drive to the
>hoop with any authority and they doubted that he could.  Perhaps the
>shellacking he took from Popeye last year and the couple of shots he took
>this year which resulted in minor injuries, while taking it to the hoop, has
>something to do with it.  I do not question his courage and we do not know
>what Pitino has told him to do.  He may have been instructed to pull up on
>the drive unless there is a clear path.  We are not privy to lockerroom
>conversation, and if that were in fact the case, I doubt that information
>would be dropped so that every other team would be prepared for it in
>advance.

Nope. Mercer never has been a driver. He wasn't at Kentucky, he isn't now and I
see no signs that he ever will be. He is what he is: A good (not great) medium-
range shooter coming off picks and an explosive finisher IN THE OPEN COURT.
Mercer isn't a good ball-handler, either. I hope we don't over-value him
(although I hope someone else does and makes a great offer).