Subject: Informal survey: two questions

From:    "Peter G. Toner" <Peter.Toner@anu.edu.au> at Internet

Date:    5/4/99  12:43 PM

Hi all,

A lot of posts for the last couple of weeks seem, to me, to deal with two
issues in a pretty haphazard way, and yet they are issues central to our
team's hopes of success in the future. I'd be interested if people on the
list want to give an opinion, once and for all, on these issues.

Issue #1: To trade or not to trade...

I'm assuming that we can only move Kenny and his contract by throwing in
one of the "Big Three" (the consensus seems to indicate Mercer) and maybe
even someone else (Battie? Barros? Minor?). I'm also assuming that most
people want to see an upgrade at point and power forward. The question is:
should the Celtics attempt a trade over the summer involving Mercer, or
should they exercise patience and try to improve through the draft and free
agency? (Note: SHOULD they, not WILL they)

My opinion: As much as we need to upgrade, I've always thought that you
shouldn't trade talent for position. Talent always seems to win out in the
end. So, upgrade those positions if you can, package other players, but
leave Potapenko, Walker, Pierce and Mercer out of it.

Issue #2: The Potapenko trade...

Simple question: Do you think this was a good move or not?

My opinion: This is a no-brainer for me, Potapenko will develop into a good
center for us. That position was our biggest weakness, and we wouldn't have
fixed it through this year's draft. P is every bit as good as any center
the Bulls have had over the last decade, for instance.

So c'mon now folks, let's have the cards out on the table...

Pete