Re: Fwd: Re: Peter Vecsey Said, If The Celtics Trade Anyone...

Here's what I remember.  Before the trading deadline of last year,
there was a deal in the works with Mercer and Billups going for
Ike Austin, Mashburn, et al.

Before the draft, Pitino was talking with Vancouver I think,
and I think he was interested in acquiring their pick and
taking LaFrentz or Nowitzki.  He had fallen in love with
Nowitzki and wanted to move up in the draft ahead of Dallas
to get him.  He also liked LaFrentz.  I think he was planning
on taking one of those two and moving Walker over to small
forward.

As far as present trades go, Michael Holley said on Channel
7 last night, they could trade Walker, but because of base
salary compensation, they could only take someone making
around $3 M a year back in return.  So he was leaning
toward Mercer being the one dealt, if they actually make a
move with their core players.
Ray