Marbury trade

After the Marbury trade, Kevin McHale mentioned that another team
had made a better offer than New Jersey but that Marbury had declined
to play for that team. Also, Pitino was described as "livid" after
the Marbury ended up going to New York. I'd speculate that the
Mercer and Anderson package could have been the superior offer.
That would have been truly awesome.

Anderson was really abused by Indiana yesterday. Whoever he was put
on was burning the Celtics. I suppose most teams don't have post-up
point guards and Mark Jackson has been doing this to other teams
also but it was ugly and effective for the Pacers.

The idea of packaging Mercer and another player to upgrade at a
position is a good one. I don't know if there are any teams that
are willing to trade a top point guard for a Mercer/Anderson package
though. Given the way that Darrell Armstrong is playing and Penny
Hardaway's contract situation, perhaps the Celtics could put together
a package for Penny. Kenny/Mercer is a better offer than Cassell/Gill,
in my opinion, which I think Orlando was considering last year.

Otherwise, possibly Mercer and Battie or Potapenko could net us a
talented power forward or center. I don't know how many of these
are available though.

Alex