No Subject

Dear Josh,

Thanks for turning me on to this list!

Regarding Pierce, it doesn't surprise me that as his "touches" declined so
did the rest of his game. I never thought of him as a 'saint' and didn't
purposely try and depict him as a martyr. I wish we could get away from
demonizing/sanctifying different players. I think that each of the players,
as young players, need to get touches in order to prevent them from getting
frustrated. I know that when I (try to) play that I find it just so easier
to hustle (defense, rebounding, running the floor) when you have a
reasonable expectation that you may get rewarded. I don't think of myself
as a selfish player (with my shot I can't afford to be) but I know from my
own experience that playing such a physically demanding game is so much
easier psychologically when one gets touches. When you don't get touches
you start to make bad decisions, bad shots - heck, it can even get
difficult just handling the ball. I don't think Pierce, or Walker, or
Mercer (how many times is he ahead on the break and doesn't even get a
look?), or Potapenko are any different in that respect.

Another potential problem related to ball distribution seems to be manifest
in the cases of Walker and Mercer. The two together get the majority of
touches and that seems to be putting too much pressure on the youngsters.
They seem to try and do too much, forcing shots as a result. What is needed
is more balance overall, for the benefit of each player's psyche and the
team as a whole.

As for defense, NO ONE has distinguished themselves. I'm beginning to
wonder how much of the bad defense is due to the "system" (over-playing,
double-teaming, rotating, pressing) and how much is a true reflection of
each players' capacities. With Rick in charge we may never know!

I found your post interesting and thought provoking, but I have a hard time
agreeing with some of your points. I think you're right in asserting that
there is a chemistry problem, but why make Kenny the scapegoat. OK, we know
he can't play D, but we knew that all along, didn't we? And he is hardly
alone in this respect. He dribbles the ball too much? Given the state of
the "offense" there doesn't seem to be much else for the point to do, but
dribble and wait for Mercer off the screen or 'Toine to establish position
(where he will dribble the ball too much. . . ). It seems to me that EVERY
player is coming out flat, with occasional exceptions. Anderson, like every
other player, is trying to implement Pitino's offense. But if the plan
stinks its always the workers, not management, that takes it in the shorts.
Too much of the offense involves standing around and watching and this
hurts everyone, but also leaves Anderson with the ball in his hands trying
to get it to the ONE player the play seems designed for (and that the
opposition is alerted to) or having to wing it with the clock winding down.
For example, there was one sequence last night when the clock was winding
down and Kenny took it into the lane. He got swallowed up and that would
have been that except that at the last moment Minor cut to the hoop. Why
aren't there more cutters, screens, pick-and-rolls, give-and-go's? Anderson
doesn't turn it over much and doesn't launch it at every opportunity (like
Van Exel), but there is only so much a point man can do.

As you can guess, I disagree with you're assessment of Pitino's share in
the blame - but I have to go. I'm sure I agree with you in that we're both
hoping for something better tonight!

Keep the comments coming!
Best wishes and thanks again!
-TomM