Re: Great Game

Jim Meninno stated something that I had missed in response to something
Joe said,

>Additionally, Antoine could have had an uncontested dunk or layup >off
that pass if only he applied his court sense. In a similar situation,
>both Bird and McHale would have thrown the head fake and sent >Davis
flying out of the picture.

>You bring up McHale and Bird and it makes me think what the real
problem
>is, offensively, with Antoine and every member of the Cs.  They don't
>have shots that they can go to when the team needs a basket.  Shots
that
>they are comfortable taking, that they know they can get off virtually
>any time.  You know, McHale's jump hook, Bird's step back J.  It seems
>like every move Antoine makes is an original creation.  It's no wonder
>he doesn't hit many of them, he's never shot them before!  Bird and
>McHale practiced each of those shots probably tens of thousands of
>times.  I see Antoine taking a little hook shot lately and it gives me
>great pleasure.  Has someone finally told him that he needs to posess a

>shot that he can hit, that is tough to block?  I think so.  I want to
>see more of it, from him and every other member of the team.

Excellent point!! I believe someone else also pointed out that Walker
needed to work on NBA basketball this summer instead of school yard
basketball (may not be an exact quote).  This statement by Jim M. is
bang on.  I noticed the little jump hook from Walker and thought the
same thing, why not do more of that?

Aside from that, Walker's stats from the Pacer game 37 Min., 16 Pts., 8
Reb., 6 Ast. 1 Blk., 1-3 3Pt., 1 Stl., 1 TO.  Is pretty damn good
considering he was playing a stronger, more mature PF that has a 7 foot
center to help out.

I do think that Pitino has been planning on reining in Walker next year
all along.

Pitino may have thought he'd have a chance of "stealing one" this year,
but realized that wasn't going to happen so better to build for next
year.

1. So he signed Popeye for three years, who should be ready and
understand the "system" by next year or be packaged in a trade.

2. He brought in VP for reasonable money who will either know the system
and contribute (the rebounding incentive should prove a point) or be on
the block by the trade deadline next season.

3. Battie will be like the two above.  (I think he'll stay unless needed
in a trade package)

4. Minor has had his value increase by Pitino not moving him at the
deadline, he'll be gone for a pick.

5. KA?  He'll be gone or in better shape prior to next season.  And we
will get a back up PG before next season starts.  (I'm still guessing
Turner who will be a second round pick, though Wesley for Barros was a
rumor before the trade deadline. Though we will still need an all star
point to win it all. IMO)

6. Walker won't be an "All Star" this year and Pitino will point out
that if he bulks up, listens and follows the game plan he could be one
again.  And Walker will.  He hates to lose.

7. I don't see the benefit of trading the core three at this stage.  And
we are better now then we were last year!