Walker out to Kenny and...clank!

I don't usually like to point to one or two plays in a game and say
"See...this is why/when they lost..and I'm not going to do it this time.
However, there was one play that I thought was very... "heartbreaking" in
that game. Yes Walker missed two easy shots, and by the way I agree with
Josh concerning his "Walker's talent alone" post...but the play I'm
referring to is the pass Walker made from underneath out to Kenny who was,
if I remember correctly, close to the three point line. It was a nice pass
to a wide open man. As soon as Kenny took it Walton groaned because that's
not in Kenny's range. Bad shot? If Reggie Miller takes that shot, is it a
bad shot? If Ron Mercer takes that shot is it a bad shot? If Miller's
taking the shot...no. If Anderson or Mercer are taking the shot....yes.
Another question, another play. Miller made two outside shots during a run
at the end of the game. One was on a break..a "killer" three pointer. As
soon as he took it you knew it was in. He was wide open...nobody could get
out to him fast enough. He could've taken it to the hoop or opted for a
closer mid-range shot, but if he did, both would've been contested. He gets
a wide open shot, he takes it, with confidence. Is passing out to Mercer
close to the three point line for an open shot ever an option? A quick
catch and shoot open long range jumper? Is that an option for this team
when Mercer and Anderson are in the game? How many of Mercer's mid-range
jumpers are uncontested shots? How many open shots does, let's say... Tim
Hardaway get because he can stretch the defense? Unless I'm wrong...he gets
a lot. You go down low...you pass out for open shots. It happens. And if
they're threes...they're "killers." It's obvious that I like threes.
Perhaps too much. But, I also like it when teams can work for open
uncontested shots when they need a basket. Catch and shoot. It helps. Am I
being overly critical and imagining things, or is that simply not an option
for the teams starting backcourt when the team needs a basket? How many of
Mercer's midrange shots are ever uncontested...that is...easy?

Paul M.